Honored Contributor

Re: How Do I Teach My Dog To Go DOWN The Stairs From The Bed

Thank you,   everyone, for the suggestions.  I hope I've found a solution.  I had thought about getting a ramp, and @Goldenmother  and @sceniccoast  prompted me to go ahead and order one.

It sounds like it will be good quality.  It's made in the USA and has a rubber type cover instead of carpet, so it won't be slippery.  It's shipped from Tennessee (my state) and should be here in 2-4 days.  I'm looking forward to getting it and training Ava to using it.  It comes with training materials, so that should be helpful.  I hope she'll use it.

I plan on just keeping it set up, because I do have a bad back, and sometimes it's hard to lift Ava on and off the bed.  Ava had always slept on her own bed beside mine.  Frankie, my previous dog, used to sleep with me, but I started having a hard time sleeping.  When I put her in her own bed it was a little easier.

The second or third day I had the steps out, Ava immediately got in bed as soon as I started my nighttime ritual of getting ready to bed.  I actually enjoy having her sleep with me, and I know she loves it.  It's been a good thing.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

(Revised....I see you ordered a ramp...that's perfect):

My two arthritic dogs would not use steps....if some one could make you a ramp with a low incline with carpet on...(that's what we did).   I know that's a 'tall' order, but you would have the ramp for when Ava was older.  Best wishes and better health with your upcoming surgery!

Respected Contributor

@NickNack , first, I want to send you positive thoughts for a successful surgery and speedy healing.  I will be praying for you! As for your back, try not to bend and lift at a 45 %angel...its a most vulnerable position for our backs to be in, as the muscles switch over to ligaments at that angel.   Always use your quads, to offer the strength.   It's sort of a slight squat position, and your upper thigh muscles take over...no bending from the waist.  I was a personal trainer and studied through National Academy of Sports Medicine (just a fancy name).  I have a terrible back, and spine.

As for Ava, idk if you have carpeting in your bedroom.  If not, put some throw rugs around your bed, and at the bottom on the little doggie steps, so she doesn't slide if you have hardwood floors.   Teaspoon always slept with me, and as she got older I had to pile a couple of pillows on her side of the bed so she wouldn't roll off.  She actually fell off the bed a couple times before I did that, thankfully didn't get hurt, just very startled.  But I tend to think Ava might try just jumping over pillows??   Just something a little extra, maybe she'll avoid jumping that way.  

I have a long padded bench at the foot of my bed, and a throw rug under it.  All my dogs would use the bench for up and down...I have hardwood floors throughout, and the rugs give them a solid non-slide landing.

My best to you, please report back🙏🙂

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin  Thank you for the tips on how to bend for my back.  I did know that but always forget to do it.  I will try my best to remember it as I've been having some problems lately.

I have hardwood floors throughout my house, but have a rug in my bedroom and living room.  Ava would be leaving the ramp on the rug and not the floor.

I had forgotten this until you mentioned that Teaspoon fell off your bed.  Frankie, my previous dog, fell off my bed one time.  It scared me to death.  I was so afraid she was hurt, but she didn't seem to be.  That's one of the things that prompted me to let her start sleeping in her own bed.  Ava doesn't seem to get that close to the edge of the bed.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are too many steps too close together for her to go down. Look for a star set with only two or three steps. This is not a matter of TEACHING. This has to do with the body shape of your dog. There's a two step one at chewy. 8E3365B3-499C-495A-80A0-F9AEF9F89CA8.jpeg

Honored Contributor

E8F9D907-9990-430B-9C90-354D6CFB19E6.png

Honored Contributor

Have you put a leash on her,and trying to lead her down the steps?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest  @Mindy D   Please see post #11.  I ordered a ramp with good traction.

When I originally ordered those steps a long time ago I did not want that many steps.  It's impossible to find three steps that are 21" high to go to a bed.  The two and three steps are for a couch.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Henry is looking bright and chipper today!Smiley Happy

I hope you do well with your surgery.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

First of all, best wishes to you with the surgery.  Will be with you in Spirit.

Think the ramp might be the solution!  Nevertheless you might need to bait her up and down the first few times.  Keep us posted about your progress 

Our decorating taste is so similar, our furniture is very similar, and we have a couple of the same rugs.  Always enjoy peeks!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras