Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

If it's too cold for a human, it's too cold for a dog.  I have a neighbor who left their little 8 pound dog outside in the winter as well as when it's super hot.  I would take water and treats to her.  I got mad a couple of summers ago and loudly said "this is not an outside dog!"  Soon after, they started keeping the dog inside more and I'm glad.

Esteemed Contributor

Some people should not have pets. The animals are smarter than the owners.

How would they like to freeze? Fools.

Honored Contributor

Re: How Cold is Too Cold?

[ Edited ]

We are heading into bitter cold weather with wind chill temperatures at -20.  I am worried about a cat that is obviously taking refuge under our deck.  It is a sturdy deck boxed in to the ground  with stone all around it and packed around with snow.  The snow is melting a little but I rather imagine that much snow packed around it would keep the high winds out.    We have a deep crawl space and I believe there is a vent so maybe he or she will be warm enough under there up against the house.  There is only enough room for me to slip my hand in one small opening.  I don't know what I can do except maybe slip a piece of food in there.  I hate this weather for these poor stray animals.  I think it is a feral cat.

Esteemed Contributor

@jubilant Please do what you can to save that cat. If it is stuck or trapped under

your deck feed it until you can get it out. 

Honored Contributor

@threecees

I was just out there about an hour ago.  It's a little warmer today  (around 26 degrees).  He won't get trapped under there.  There is a hole along the side of the porch deck up close to the house that rabbits have dug out in the past.  We always keep that hole open when shoveling the  deck off. No snow gets under that deck and when we get a lot it stays packed around the solid wood planks on the sides and front and that should keep the wind out.  There is no straw....maybe some leaves from the fall (for bedding).  I may have to go get one of those igloos.  My neighbor has them for 3 or 4 feral cats two doors down but, for some reason, this yellow cat will not go there.  He lived through last winter under there....so hopefully we can get him through this one.  Be assured, I will do my best.  I can't stand the thought of an animal suffering.

Esteemed Contributor

@jubilant That is good to know that you will help him. Thank you for responding

back to me. I always feel so bad when I see a stray,  always a cat or two roaming in my neck of the woods. Even worse in the winter, poor things.