Esteemed Contributor

Housebreaking Advice Please!

My Eddy is no longer a puppy.  He'll be eight years old on the 30th.  He once had a severed spine and though fixed as he ages and the weather gets colder, I know going up and down the three steps leading out to his yard becomes more stressful.

I got some potty pads for large furbabies.  I want to try to teach Eddy to use the pad so when it's icy outside there won't be a problem.  Only thing is, Eddy has no idea what to use them for.  I laid one out the other day to practice and he just layed down on it, apparently thinking it was a new blankie

Can anyone tell me how to train Eddy to do his thing indoors on the potty pad.  I'd feel a lot safer for both of us if he could do his thing on the slippery days.

Respected Contributor

Re: Housebreaking Advice Please!

My initial thought is to put boards over the steps to create a ramp.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme.  Have you considered a ramp going down into the yard?  You are asking how to unhousebreak a housebroken dog....not sure  that's wise as you'll have him totally confused as to what he's supposed to do.  I wouldn't do it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

Thanx, but a ramp requires more muscle use on the rear legs.  When Eddy got up the steps, i oftentimes hold his rear legs up when they sometimes collapse.as we make it up the stairs.  We've got a thing down pat, but when it's slippery out it's more difficult for us.  That's why I want to train him to 'go' indoors.

Honored Contributor

Stores sell little diapers for male dogs. 

Contributor

Try to get the scent of his urine on the pad. He'll know what it's for then. They also have scented ones available.

Esteemed Contributor

Pee pads and....

OUT! Go Here Attractant Indoor & Outdoor Dog Training Spray | Housetraining Aid for Puppies and Dogs | 32 oz

Amazon

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@eddyandme 

You can buy a spray from pet stores that is a housebreaking aid that you spray on the pee pads, to encourage them to pee there.

They make it for cats and dogs.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

Thanx, but a ramp requires more muscle use on the rear legs.  When Eddy got up the steps, i oftentimes hold his rear legs up when they sometimes collapse.as we make it up the stairs.  We've got a thing down pat, but when it's slippery out it's more difficult for us.  That's why I want to train him to 'go' indoors.

@eddyandme.  Seems like that would depend on the angle of the ramp.  If made long enough, it could be very gradual and gentle.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Chewy has the pee pee patch that is like grass and that spray may help to attract to the patch.  My baby is 4 but the first couple years she used the patch when I could not take her out in bad weather and we placed it in the garage.  Our babies are smart so I am sure Eddie can adjust to that.  My sincere wish for his adjustment.