Esteemed Contributor

Re: Housebreaking Advice Please!

@candys mine, he sits down to go both ways.  Though very muscular, he can't support himself if holding one up.

But thans for the suggestion, it was right on target!

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme,  just to give you a little encouragement my current dog, and the one that recently passed, both use(d) pee pads when necessary AND would reliably go outside.  They did not get confused.  Matter of fact there were times when the weather was less than ideal and when I went to the door to let them out they would look at the weather then go to the pee pads.

For my male I do keep a small plastic trash can at the back of the pee pad so he can lift his leg and that is something you should consider for Eddie if he lifts his leg.

I am thankful for the combination of going out and pee pad use.  In stormy conditions it keeps both of us dry and because my dog is small in snowy weather it keeps me from having to shovel an area for him to be able to go.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for your encouragement @Marp !

I agree, Eddy can learn to go in or out.  Right now I'm noticing he waits as long as possible to go out.  Once outside, he loves it and usually doesn't appreciate having to come inside.  Imho he's finding it harder in this cold weather; so at least, this will give him an option - which I'll enjoy too!

Eddy's a big boy so he doesn't get lost in the snow.  He loves to take his ball, throw it up and then snow dive to retrieve his ball.  The snow seems to cushion him so he can jump up and run freely in his yard!

I am soo sorry for your loss of one of your furbabies.  Our furbabies are always in our hearts.  It's an unbreakable bond!

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Thanks, @furbabylover , Eddy can have a mind of his own, too!  My sweetheart holds it as long as he can before going out.  So, I think getting the 'grass' pad and placing it in the mudroom, next best thing to being outside, he may take to it in bad weather.

@eddyandme 

I'm also wondering if you can take a bit of the real grass from outside, preferably from somewhere that he has already gone on, and put it on the inside grass pad.  (Or dirt, or whatever he goes on outside.)  That should be feasible for you if you intend to put the pad in your mudroom.

If he smells both the outdoors and his own eliminations, that might signal to him that that spot is "okay to go".

Super Contributor

A spray product is available to put a scent on the pads that supposedly makes them smell like a good place for dogs to potty. Did not work for me, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work for you. As an FYI, the pads didn't work for me either. We also bought a small section of artificial turf that sits in a tray. (Tray allows urine to flow through.) Hoping that this would be a way to get a potty in the garage when it snows. Hasn't worked either. Again, might work for you! All products purchased on AZ. It's a frustrating situation. I wish you luck solving it.
Esteemed Contributor

Good idea, @geezerette .  I'll cut a bit of grass and try to set him up with that.  Eddy's originally from NYC so he'll go anywhere in his yard:  stones, sickwalks, dirt, grass - whatever(!) as long as it's out of his main play area!  

But, you also gave me a good idea:  I'll add a few stones to the grass!  Might encourage him - that and some wicked bad weather!

Thanx!

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Good idea, @geezerette .  I'll cut a bit of grass and try to set him up with that.  Eddy's originally from NYC so he'll go anywhere in his yard:  stones, sickwalks, dirt, grass - whatever(!) as long as it's out of his main play area!  

But, you also gave me a good idea:  I'll add a few stones to the grass!  Might encourage him - that and some wicked bad weather!

Thanx!

@eddyandme 

Another thought was to put a pad outside in his area for a while in the beginning when you're trying to get him used to it to absorb the outdoor odor.  You know that smell is such a big deal for dogs!  And if the pad is in the area where he already goes, he might eventually make the connection and would also use it indoors.

Anyway, you've gotten some good suggestions and I wish you luck!  It might take a while.  I tried this with an elder dog some years ago and it never worked.  She would 'go' on command, but when I put her on an indoor pad and told her to "Go potty!", she just looked at me and ran to the door!😄

Frequent Contributor

You might want to try little boots for his feet so he doesn't slip and it makes it easier to walk.  It takes a little while for him to get used to them on his feet, but then he won't notice them and can walk with better gripping.  Much easier than cleaning the house, it worked for my golden.

Good luck!