Respected Contributor

Image result for love my horse

Frequent Contributor

I am in Northern Virginia and I trail ride also.  Rain has been a huge problem for me and not able to do much riding.  Rain was a problem but the damage to trails from the rain has been an issue also.  Rain also impacting hay production but we have a good water table now!  Hope your ability to ride gets better this summer.

Trusted Contributor

Another horse lover here! ❤️ We recently moved to a rural area in NC, but don't yet have our own horses — my DH and I. For now we have to rent them and ride along the commercial trails. Great fun, but not the same as having your own horse to bond with over time as I grew up with one.

Maybe next year! 🤞🏼

Honored Contributor

@deb5555 wrote:

@deb5555   I LOVE this photo!   I think I had every word of The Black Stallion novel memorized when I was a kid.  My first "big" horse was a black mare and I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

I picked out a black saddle to go with her and my dad was a little frownie faced because he thought I needed a "better" and smaller saddle.  But he gave in, and I got a black and white Navajo print blanket to go under it.  I thought my horse and I looked FINE!  LOL!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Horse fun in summer

[ Edited ]

@silkyk wrote:

Image result for love my horse

This could be a picture of me when I was growing up. The horse I rode the most was named Dolly. She was a great horse except for the fact that if any other horse got too close on her backside, she would kick the heck fire out of them. BOOM! Ha!

Respected Contributor

I love reading the stories of you lucky ones who had horses when you were young...I was that kid who dreamed of that life but it wasn’t possible living in the suburbs with a small yard.  

Went for a short ride today but the bugs were awful. Learned a lesson, too. Stay off driveways that have been recently sealed. Was on the side in the grass but had to step out on a small section to get to road. That section was slightly downhill. Geldings back right foot slipped and he went down on his hock. Scraped it. ☹️ Hosed it when we got back but I’m mad at myself. In hindsight I could’ve gotten off, walked him those few feet downhill and gotten back on. Hate when I make a stupid mistake like that.

Respected Contributor

@pupwhipped @Sooner @SelahG @BeingKindIsEasy , and anyone else who wants to share, what kind of horses do/did you ride? 

Respected Contributor

Re: Horse fun in summer

[ Edited ]

@Kalli, I adored horses growing up and rode all the time. Then when I got around sixteen or so I was so involved with other things that my riding fell off and my father sold the horses. I was devastated and still can get teary eyed just thinking about it even now! Anyway, I was under five years old when I got my first horse, a Shetland pony named Buddy. Then I progressed to quarter horses with Dolly being the one I rode the most. Those were the days!!!

The pic below is obviously not my pony, but my Buddy looked a lot like this. I loved him so much! But he could be a mean little sh*t when he wanted to be. Haaaaaaaaa!

Respected Contributor

@pupwhipped I’ve heard ponies can mishave at times. 😆😆 I bet you became a great rider, though and had a lot of fun in the process! 

I didn’t start riding until younger son went off to college. Everyone I trail ride with has much more experience than I have. Thankfully they’ve watched over me and helped me along. 😊