Esteemed Contributor

Homeless people that have dogs

I continue to see homeless people that have dogs. I feel so sorry for the dogs because they do not have a choice on how they live. Today when I was walking I saw two homeless people on the sidewalk with signs and the dog was laying on the grass. There was no water for the dog. The one woman had a container of water for herself. When I walked by the dog he just looked up at me with sad eyes. I felt like asking them if I could have the dog but you never know their mental state.

It upsets me to see the dogs knowing that they are not getting the care. I don't know how the people became homeless or if they really are because we have so many scammers looking for a quick buck. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Homeless people that have dogs

I'm ambivalent on this subject.  I think the poor should be entitled to own dogs just as would anyone else, but I do wonder about their ability to give the animal good care, quality food, etc.  We know the most important thing to a dog is to be loved, they presumably get that from their owners.   These dogs always look well-fed and don't appear to be suffering. 

For you to have asked if you could have someone's dog would have been wrong, wrong.  How would you like a shabbily dressed person ask if he could have your dog?  Such a request would have been elitist and insulting.  Many of the homeless suffer from mental illness and their dogs undoubtedly mean a lot to them.  I don't think we have the right to deny someone a pet unless there's proof the animal is being mistreated. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

All a dog cares about is the love.  I have felt bad for many dogs who are stuck with people who can provide financially but do not spend time with them.  To them a dog is just another status symbol possession! They may have fancy food, toys, expensive bedding, etc but what the dog really wants is time spent interacting.  Those are the ones that upset me and I'd like to rescue.

Respected Contributor

Dear Elated,

Maybe you saw an earlier post of mine about homless people here in AZ?  I'm with you and feel that life with a homless person (if they are) is abusive.

Sorry to disagree with the OP but animals need more than love.  The problem with asking for the animal would only cause the homless person to get another pet to panhandle with.

To scold you for your opinion is wrong, wrong.  

There is no law requiring a homless person give up their dog.  Folks who use animals in the Tucson area where I live are allowed to keep the dogs out on the city streets in 117+ temps.  Unless they are being "abused" nothing will be done.  I consider restrained in extreme heat to be abuse!  Our local news casters are constantly pleading for pet owners to "bring your animals in from the extreme heat!"

I'm sure this post will bring on more critizsum.  Let's consider what the dogs would really want.

Esteemed Contributor

I feel for the dog.  In a bigger city, I saw a group homeless people walking with their signs saying they were hungry. This was last summer, it was hot. They were walking on hot asphalt, the people all had shoes on. The dogs had to be miserable. The dogs didn't look like they were enjoying it.

It doesn't really sound like love to me. And what happens when the poor dog gets sick or hurt? Also they also need to eat and fresh water.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Dear Kachina,

If you are ambivalent then why would you write about this?

Cathy

Respected Contributor

Dear Pook,

It sounds like you have a problem with people who have status.  How does that equate to animal abuse?

Cathy

Respected Contributor

These people can't even feed themselves, how can they feed an animal.  The animals are used as bait to get money, that's about  it.  People feel for the dogs, so they give money and it goes to booze or drugs. 

Esteemed Contributor

People are homeless for a number of reasons, many times beyond their control.  To assume that they do not love or care for the pets as best they can is just wrong.  The alternative is to put all those pets down, is that what you are promoting?  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

Dear Crazy,

Wow!  That is a real stretch.

Cathy