Respected Contributor

Re: Hints to get a dog like getting brushed...

I have 3 basset hounds and the elder didn't like being brushed until I purchased "brush gloves" from Amazon.  They are super easy to use and all three beg to be brushed now!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My dog begs for it.   I had a comb one day and while she was just setting there, I realized how great it felt to me to have my hair brushed.  I let her in my lap and brushed her in both directions.  Soft bristles of cours, not those wire ones.  She now wines for us to brush her, or comb, she'll set beside us, lay beside us, set up next to the arm of the couch, with one of her front legs holding her up there.  So we can get to her belly of course.  She is a little person in fur, I tell ya!!!

AS others have also noted, it's a human's brush, not a dog brush.  Softer on their skin. Yorkie too I should say (she is).  

Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma  Belle is a beautiful doggy!  Try giving her a nylabone or a treat to distract her perhaps while she becomes accustomed to being brushed.  My new westie does not care for being brushed and that is the only way I am able to keep him looking dapper as well.  GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

I have an American Eskimo that needs frequent brushing.  I've found that I just have to try often.  Sometimes he lets me know right away that he doesn't want to be brushed and other times he'll let me brush him for an hour and fall asleep while I'm doing it.  I usually have the best luck if he's a bit tired.

I always start with a more gentle plastic tipped pin brush.  If he's in the mood to be brushed then I'll switch to a slicker brush which does a much better job with his coat.  I also make sure to always use both hands when brushing his longer fur or fur that gets matted easily.  One to hold the brush and the other to hold the hair down above where I'm brushing so that I'm always making short strokes until I get any tangles out.  Kind of the same way I get tangles out of my own hair, start at the bottom and work my way up Smiley Happy

Keep trying and good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

She’s adorable, love Belle

Regular Contributor

Belle is adorable, I would doggy sit anytime lol.  I brush Toby, my Lhasa Poo with a very very soft brush which he is ok with.  I think its good what you are doing, I always check Tobys ears when he is relaxed.  I would keep it in sight so it's part of the furniture so to speak.  Enjoy every day with her.

Respected Contributor

What a cutie-pie!  Could the brush be too rough on your cutie?  I noticed some of the dog brushes are very harsh.  Try a gentler brush. I use a " human " hair brush on my silky terrier. She has a very fine light coat, and no double coat. She loves it and relaxes- 

Respected Contributor

My dog is so uncomfortable when I try to brush him with a regular brush, but when I use the natural bristle brush (maybe it's boar bristles), he's fine.  Try a natural bristle brush.  I think their skin is sensitive, and certain bristles don't feel good.  I don't think it's a case of them getting used to it.