Honored Contributor

Hikers rescue dog from mountain-stranded 6 weeks!

[ Edited ]

Such great news!Heart

A 13-year-old dog was rescued by two hikers after being stranded high up on a ledge at one of the Colorado's 14'ers for six weeks.

Over two days, Trinity Smith and Sean Nichols were able to save the dog named Chloe who was whimpering atop of Mount Bross. The mountain is a 100 mile drive from Denver and is one of the 14'ers, Colorado's 14 highest peaks.

People posted in the 14'ers FB group that they heard a dog crying during their hikes. Chloe's owners had also posted online that they were looking for her after she ran off with another neighborhood dog.

Smith decided to take on the challenge and hiked up the mountain to see if she could locate the pup.

When she heard her whimpering, Smith called her boyfriend for help since it was dark and the hike up the steep incline would have been dangerous.

They returned the next day with a Jeep and called for the trapped dog for four hours. Chloe eventually stopped barking in response.

But Nichols and Smith didn't give up hope and finally found Chloe stuck on top of a rock. Nichols retrieved her and slid down the rock with Chloe in his arms.

Smith wrote on Facebook:  'After rumors of a dog crying and two days of scrambling along the side of a 14er, we finally brought this sweet baby down to safety.

'This poor thing has been stranded high up on a cliff for over a month. She was once a 90lb dog who now weighs 26.'

'Glad to have her off that mountain and back with her owners!' 

After saving Chloe, the couple went to the store to get her food and to give her back to one of her owners Larry Osborne. He though Chloe was lost for good. 

Osborne spoke with 9NEWS and said Chloe is doing better and that he is thankful to Smith and Nichols. 

He said: 'It's a really tight-knit community - but it's really good to know that with all the bad in the world - there's still a lot of good.'

Trinity Smith and Sean Nichols (pictured) rescued 13-year-old  Chloe who was stranded on Mount Bross for six weeks. She normally weighs 90lbs but was just 26lbs when she was found

After the rescue mission, Smith (pictured) and Nichols went to the store to get Chloe food and to give her back to her owners

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4914768/Hikers-rescue-lost-dog-missing-six-weeks.html

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Hikers rescue dog from mountain stranded for 6 weeks!

That just brings tears to my eyes. That poor dog and those wonderful people. I hope she can regain her weight and be healthy. ❤️

The owners I am sure are overjoyed.

Contributor

Re: Hikers rescue dog from mountain-stranded 6 weeks!

That was an amazing rescue, what wonderful concerned people.

Thank you for posting!

Trusted Contributor

What a heartwarming story. Thanks for sharing!

Honored Contributor

It really warmed my heart too that this young lady took it upon herself to try and find the dog, that she didn't even know!Heart

As Gandhi said:

The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mahatma Gandhi

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

I am so happy for that poor dog ! Thank you for posting such a good story with a happy ending !

Honored Contributor

That story had a wonderful ending.  I hope the dog is able to gain weight and get back to normal with no lasting damage.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

God love those two wonderful young people for having the perseverance and compassion to rescue Chloe. She's one lucky dog!

Honored Contributor

@NEvans2 wrote:

God love those two wonderful young people for having the perseverance and compassion to rescue Chloe. She's one lucky dog!

@NEvans2

So true!Heart

Respected Contributor

I like to think that there is a special place in Heaven for people like these two.  Rescuing one of God's precious animals is truly a fine  and generous thing to do. They are a blessing.