Honored Contributor

High School Construction Students Build Houses For Animals

Trusted Contributor

Re: High School Construction Students Build Houses For Animals

I'm impressed.  You're right.  Everybody benefits.  That group is providing such a service, and learning so much while they're doing it.

Trusted Contributor

A very heartwarming story.  Let's hope these young people will go forward with what they are learning and build on it!-----tedEbear

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nice idea.  Our local high school has a building trades class where the students build a real functioning house that gets sold and a family ends up living in.  A project like the dog houses would be suitable for our middle school.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

North Carolina has an extremely large "School to Work" program.  The students you read about could use this as a class project to meet the competenceis to pass the course.  Since they all did the same thing, they would have either fund raised or gotten the money donated.  The community aspect is part of a checklist as well for the Southern Assoc of Colleges to keep accrediation for the school.  These students can take a Furniture Making class and Architecture 1 and 2  if they chose.  They will go to work upon graduation or go to N. C State in Raleigh, NC to get advanced degrees.

It's an incredible program.  All the "School To Work" programs are like wise as fantastic and written by state staff and the state's top teachers.

I feel very fortunate to have taught in this state when I did.