Respected Contributor

High Fiber Food for Large Lab (need Grain Free)

My lab is having issues with his ****** gland becoming infected.  I need to get him on a high fiber food, he is a little over weight so a light/high fiber would be good.  I need to keep it grain free and NO by-products!!

For now I switched him to HILLS  Fit & Healthy, its got a lot of fiber and 100 less calories than most other foods.

Just wanted to see what other options I have, i want him on the best I can afford.  Thank you!!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: High Fiber Food for Large Lab (need Grain Free)

[ Edited ]

My Vet suggested canned pumpkin (not pie filling) sweet potatoes/yams or green beans added to my dogs diet.  Sometimes, I slice sweet potatoes or yams thin and bake them on a cookie sheet at 200 degrees for 1.5 hours and turn them over and bake for another 1.5 hours.  I use every rack in my oven when I do this.  My dogs are CRAZY about these high fiber treats (my grandkids love them too).  Store them in the fridge.

You can also sprinkle a very tiny bit of Metamucil on his food.  Serve with lots of water or mix with water.

You can also buy a fiber tablet made for pets called Glandex. It's all natural and WORKS!  Read reviews on Amazon if you're interested.

The highest fiber dog foods are :

Wellness

Blue Wilderness Grain Free

Taste of the Wild (5% fiber)

Orijen (My dogs eat this..very expensive to feed a large dog)

If your dog is overweight, green beans are a wonderful fiber source.  I just steam them and serve warm or cold. My pups sit by the stove at attention when they smell them cookin'.

Respected Contributor

Carmie - Thank you so much, VERY helpful.  I've been doing organic pumpkin (not pie) and just a tiny bit of flax meal too.

I will check out the brands you mentioned, price isn't that much of a factor as long as its awesome quality, not that I have endless funds, its just I will do what I can to ensure my babies have just as good of food as we have.

Esteemed Contributor

Chloe is on purina pro plan grain free lamb and egg. It has 7 percent fiber. It is purinas high quality food you can only get at pet stores.
Valued Contributor

My neightbor used to give her dog raw carrots and he loved them.  We used to have a poodle that loved to eat the heart of a cabbage.  Anything like that is great for their digestive system.

Honored Contributor

Yep, PUMPKIN. And both our Granddoggies LOVE IT!

Honored Contributor

Honest kitchen has some great products an they are high fiber, there are are grain free options and even a few with only several ingredients. For example:

Marvel has 6% fiber and only contains:

All ingredients dehydrated: Cage-free turkey, parsnip, navy bean, organic coconut, pumpkin, parsley, plus vitamins and minerals

Embark has 4.7% fiber and contains:

Turkey, organic flaxseed, potatoes, celery, spinach, carrots, organic coconut, apples, organic kelp, eggs, bananas, cranberries, tricalcium phosphate, choline chloride, zinc amino acid chelate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, potassium iodide, potassium chloride, iron amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, thiamine mononitrate.

Great stuff and awesome for my dog that has a real sensitive stomach and great for getting and keeping dogs at their optimal weight.

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl wrote:

Carmie - Thank you so much, VERY helpful.  I've been doing organic pumpkin (not pie) and just a tiny bit of flax meal too.

I will check out the brands you mentioned, price isn't that much of a factor as long as its awesome quality, not that I have endless funds, its just I will do what I can to ensure my babies have just as good of food as we have.

Do keep the ground flaxseed going, as it's not only high in fiber, but also healthy Omega 3's.

(great for us as well!)

Hugs to your Labbie from me.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Pumpkin can be a great source of fiber.  It will also fill them up when trying to get them to loose weight.  Vegtables like carrots and green beans are also a good alternative

When choosing a food for an over weight dog you should also look at the calories between different flavors within the brand you choose.  There can be a hugh difference in calories for the same amount of food.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Valued Contributor

We have a 100 lb Black Lab and have been feeding him Taste of the Wild brand dry food which is grain free and extremely healthy!