Respected Contributor

I've been wanting to ask you this for a while. I don't want to sound dumb, but do you have any Maltese ? How many and what are their names? I have 1 and his name is Murph! Next to my son I love him sooo much!! They are such good dogs. Just being curious. Hope you don't think I'm weird for asking. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hey MalteseMomma......

[ Edited ]

you are not crazy.....lol................thanks for askiing

I have one, 5 yr old,male, Maltie,his name is Cozi. I used to be CorgiMom 5 yrs ago but my 16 yr old  beloved Barkley, went to RB .

My kids got me Cozi because i was so heartbroken without my Corgi. At first I didn't want him  ( never ,never ,liked Maltese dogs) But he kept me busy while I was so deep in grief.I think I actually fought myself over loving him .If ever I accidently used a pet name I had reserved for my Corgi ,I cringed

He got his name because he made me feel cozy at night when we went to bed. My Corgi,never slept with me, Cozi does and I love it. He sleeps flat on his back .legs spread long ,sooo funny.I think it is a Maltie traite.

It took me a year to realise I was in love with this little "person".I remember the day I said ,"I love you" to him. I actually shocked myself!  Malties are more human than many humans.They are very smart and sensitive to human moods and such arent they ?.Very,very different than any other breed of dog and believe me I have had most breeds. ..lol

Now ,I would give my life for this little one In fact ,he is my life..lol 

.I really love and enjoy him so much and if I wasn't so old I would get dozens  more Malties.

I haven't been in the Pet section here since my Corgi,left for RB .I am one of the  original "founders" here in the Pet group. We had a wonderful group then, as I am sure it is still. We used to talk all night and got really  close to each other.We exchanged telephone  numbers and adresses and everything. I have not been back here in Pets, in yrs except maybe one or two times.  

Respected Contributor

I love your story!! Here is how I got my Murph who is 11. My ex mother in law and my sons gma raised and bred Maltese.  Murph was the last one in the litter and she ask my son if he wanted a dog at my house. He called and ask and I said yes, but didn't think much about it. I love animals, but was unaware of how Maltese were as pets. He came and I'm in love. He is the best! I love when he sleeps on his back with his feet up in the air. 

He is also a sock hoarder! You are right about this breed being close to human. They want to do nothing but please their owners. He lays with me, and I just can't imagine life without him. 

My son is 22 now and deployed and will be home in a few weeks and will be starting college at WVU in the fall. I told him not to even think about taking Murph, as I couldn't let him go. He said, " mom I wouldn't take him from you." 

I could go on and on about him, but I won't. I'm so glad he helped you when you were sad! I love these dogs. He's my best friend!!

Respected Contributor

I don't have a Maltese, but while watching the Westminster Dog Show last week the announcer stated that Maltese were bred for the purpose of human companionship.

From what you all describe, it sounds like your Maltese are excellent human companions.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

The only dog I have ever had was a Maltese named J'mi.  I got him as a puppy back when I lived in NYC in early 80s, and a small dog fit the bill for apartment living.  Long story short, I returned home to live with my parents to go to nursing school full-time when J'mi was just under a year old.  He immediately became the hit of the family

(I was already smitten with him) and was spoiled rotten by everyone in the house.  

(My mother used to cook for the dog, okay.)

Fast forward 5 years, I graduate from college and decide to get my own place nearby. . Well, it turns out that the family wasn't letting my boy go.  My mom didn't work and felt it was unfair to take him to an apartment to be left alone by himself all day while I was at work, so there he stayed with his grandparents.  

He lived until 13 1/2 yrs old and had a wonderful life, living in a house with a big fenced yard,  plenty of people around and many doggie friends in the neighborhood too.  He had his own bed in my parents' room and would frequently take himself off to bed down the hall when it was his bedtime.  Of course you know that only lasted until someone else came in to sleep, then he was up on the bed snuggling with his people.

I agree that Maltese do have very specific traits (esp. that sleeping pose, lol) and their true nature to please their human companions.  We all loved that little J'mi so much and still miss him, still cry when we recall times with him and his antics.  He was a really happy dog (I swear he even smiled) and didn't have a mean bone in his body.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I didn't know that  about them. Somehow I missed the show this year   Smiley Sad .I look forward to watching it every year. Malties sure are people  dogs and they are extremely smart. My Cozi even knows the different telephone rings I have for different people. He knows who to expect to come through my door just by the song the telephone rings.

They are a lot of grooming work though.Very time consuming or very expensive if you have a groomer. I do him myself  for a few reasons.One is because my mobile groomer  opened up a shop and he would have to go there and two because I cannot bear to be seperated from him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

@gmkb wrote:

I don't have a Maltese, but while watching the Westminster Dog Show last week the announcer stated that Maltese were bred for the purpose of human companionship.

From what you all describe, it sounds like your Maltese are excellent human companions.