Respected Contributor

Re: Here's my new pack member

@CamilleP - I would have suspected that as well, except for the white basset fur beneath the double lab coat.  Of course, the breeding with the basset does introduce the dwarfism gene as that was intentionally bred into the basset hound.

If you do a search on "bassador" and select the images, you'll find a many who are built like my Tonks, with all the lab features including the thick legs.  Then you'll find ones that exhibit more of the specific basset features including the longer ears and bonier oddly shaped legs.

What really astounds me is the prices being asked for these so-called designer breeds!  Yikes.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh, @Buck-i-Nana, what a beautiful addition to your family.  She is one beautiful dog with a look all her own.  I could love on her all day long......

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

I went back and read your post describing Tonks' triple coat, that's an odd thing, for sure!   Probably kind of like what some of the "doodle" crossed dogs get with poodle curls and lab or golden double coats.  I understand those can be nightmare coats for matting, so at least the Basset hairs won't give your dog that trouble.  I wonder if she'll grow different coats in different seasons, or if she'll wind up looking brindle as the white hairs mix into the black ones?  Our neighbor used to have a horse that was two different colors depending whether it was his winter or summer coat, the summer hair was much darker, and he had zebra stripes on his legs, but in the winter his body was lighter and his legs were plain black. 

I completely agree with your shock over the "designer dog" prices, especially since all the claims about these mixes being healthier/less allergenic/longer-lived are totally bogus.    The last "doodle" I knew personally died of T-cell lymphoma at 8 years of age.  His owner had spent thousands buying him, and had had to take on a second job to pay for the chemo when he was diagnosed at age 7, and only got about half a year's remission.  Heartbreakingly sad!  When he contacted his doodle's breeder about the cancer, the "breeder" broke off all contact and would no longer answer his phone calls or e-mails.  Real responsible, huh?