Honored Contributor

Henry's Vet Appt

[ Edited ]

Henry had his final vaccinations today.  I discussed the trouble I was having cleaning his eyes with the Vet, and she told me there wasn't really anything I could do about it.  She told me to clean them twice a day with a make-up round and saline solution.  I've been using warm water and cotton balls once or twice a day.  She worked on them and didn't do any better than I've been doing.  She told me to use my fingernail to get the gunk off, which I've been doing.  She said he has an extremely tiny nose, which I've noticed, and that could have something to do with it as well as his eyes.  I guess he'll just get used to me messing with his eyes every day.  He's getting a little better now.

This is a picture from today.  He weighed 4.1 lbs. at the Vet today, and three weeks ago he was 3.6 lbs.  I get the same thing when I weigh him with me at home.  He seems like he's gained more than 1/2 lb. since I got him!  He and Frankie are still doing fine.  He jumped into the chair with Frankie again yesterday.  He was sitting on my lap, and as soon as she climbed in the chair he jumped out of my lap and into the chair with her.  I was really happy about that.

He is extremely sweet and I think feels very comfortable in his home now.  He hates going to the Vet and meows in his carrier the entire way.  I had another cat that used to do that, too.  He's very playful for hours and then conks out and naps for most of the rest of the day.

I still leave him in his room when I leave, because he gets into everything.  He's figured out how to open the kitchen cabinet where the trash can is.  I've bought some baby latches and am going to have them installed soon.  

I have been putting him in his room at night to sleep, and he sleeps through the night.  Last night I thought about letting him sleep with Frankie and me since he had jumped up in the chair with her again yesterday.  I had to get up at 6:00 this morning, though, because our Vet appt. was at 8:30.  I was afraid he'd keep me up, so I put him in his room again.  I think I'll see how he does sleeping with us tonight.  He has beds in his room but always sleeps on the chair that's in there.  I assume he'll sleep in bed with Frankie and me tonight, but we'll see.

My housekeepers come tomorrow morning.  I usually try to be gone while they're here but think I need to stay here tomorrow because of Henry.  I'm not quite sure what to do with him.  I think I'll leave him in his room until they get to that room.  Then I'll put him in another room with me.  I don't want to have to stay here each time they come though, so I'll have to figure out something.  They only come once a month so it's not a huge deal.

I'm so happy that I got him.  He's truly a delightful kitten!  He has a lot of personality.

Edited to say:  I didn't realize how long this post was!  I apologize.  It seems like I always just ramble on about Henry.fullsizeoutput_e2.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Well he does have the look of an exotic short hair, which is basically a persian confirmation but with short fur. Your comments about him seem to support that idea. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I agree that he has a Persian looking face, so that may account for some of what you're noticing with his eyes.  My cats HATE when you come near their eyes!

You are doing a fabulous job with him!!  He is so cute and looks very healthy and happy.  Looks like a king on his throne in this photo!!

Love seeing his pictures.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

I completely agree that he has a persian look.  His hair really isn't short though.  It's more of a medium length.  His nose is so small that I've wondered how he can even breathe.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack  He's so darned cute.  It looks like he has a little goatee.  Did I happen to mention that I LOVE kittens.  Mine has grown up into a 12 lb "man" cat, but he still horses around as much as ever!  Cat Happy

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Re: Henry's Vet Appt

[ Edited ]

@NickNack:  

No need to apologize for your positive posts about the kids; it's not accepted LOL. Besides, it's enjoyable embellishing.  

I previously mentioned that Henry could be part Exotic instead of Persian, and they're sometimes more medium-haired.  Check out two of this breed's kittens:

4,5 months old

Go to CFA.org and TICA.org for more info if you're interested.

Respected Contributor

I wouldnt clean the tear duct drainage area every day.  Just take your finger and get the gunk out.  Then clean every couple of days.  If the drainage changes color to yellow or green or if he starts to sneeze or cough then he goes to the vet.  He is draining like that because his face is flat.  

Respected Contributor

@feline groovy  Yes, I was thinking Exotic Short Hair as well.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@NickNack

Well, glad to see your handsome little man is settling in nicely!  

Staying home tomorrow is a good idea for the first time .... I found that afterwards, Bogey would just hide under the bed when our cleaning gal was here, and not come out until he heard me or thought "the coast was clear" ... lol.  They adapt pretty fast to whatever happens around the house.

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@NickNack:  

No need to apologize for your positive posts about the kids; it's not accepted, LOL. Besides, it's enjoyable embellishing.  

I previously mentioned that Henry could be part Exotic instead of Persian, and they're sometimes more medium-haired.

Check out two of this breed's kittens:

4,5 months old

Go to CFA.org and TICA.org for more info if you're interested.

@feline groovy  Oh my gosh!  They're adorable!  The second one even has the gray chin like Henry's. Cat Happy

-Henry David Thoreau