Respected Contributor

This is what happens.  Kittens have fleas, get bitten.  Animal be it dog or cat Gets rescued and the rescue applies topical flea product which kills the fleas.  But the fleas have already bitten and the tape worm cycle has begun.  Next thing you know you see rice size worms moving in the poop or brown seasame seed like pieces "around". When the tape worm segments "come out" they die and dry up and look like a brown seed.  If Frankie has tape worms I feel fairly certain you would see them on her  poop.  As soon as the weather warms above freezing for a few days fleas will come to life.  Depending on where you are they may be out.  You can always worm-Drontal- her if you are concerned.  

Honored Contributor

@Shawniewrote:

This is what happens.  Kittens have fleas, get bitten.  Animal be it dog or cat Gets rescued and the rescue applies topical flea product which kills the fleas.  But the fleas have already bitten and the tape worm cycle has begun.  Next thing you know you see rice size worms moving in the poop or brown seasame seed like pieces "around". When the tape worm segments "come out" they die and dry up and look like a brown seed.  If Frankie has tape worms I feel fairly certain you would see them on her  poop.  As soon as the weather warms above freezing for a few days fleas will come to life.  Depending on where you are they may be out.  You can always worm-Drontal- her if you are concerned.  

@Shawnie  I'm going to start looking at Frankie's poop to make sure she doesn't have them, too.  I think you're right and I would be able to see them.  I've had Henry since August.  I hate to think he's had tapeworms that long, but more than likely he has.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack  You are a good Mom!  The things we do for our sweet pups!  I am sure no matter how it looks it is much more sanitary and will be better for him and you in the long run... good thing that they caught he had worms and get that taken care of too!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaidenwrote:

@NickNack  You are a good Mom!  The things we do for our sweet pups!  I am sure no matter how it looks it is much more sanitary and will be better for him and you in the long run... good thing that they caught he had worms and get that taken care of too!

@SeaMaiden  Yes, I'm SO glad I took him in yesterday!  He was neutered in November and had a good exam at that time.  He isn't due for another exam until November, and I would have probably not known he had tapeworms until then.

I was embarassed to take him in with a little poop still stuck to his fur, but that's how they found the tapeworms.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Oh dear NickNack, you are such a good dog/cat mommy! And groomers and vets see poopy butts all the time, please don't worry!!

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkidswrote:

Oh dear NickNack, you are such a good dog/cat mommy! And groomers and vets see poopy butts all the time, please don't worry!!

@Love my grandkids  Exactly!Our pups need us to help them and vets think nothing of a bit a poo stuck to their fur.