Honored Contributor

Re: Henry's Food Choices Changing??

@eddyandme wrote:

@NickNack

You're soooo lucky - he doesn't like treats!!!

Perhaps I'm not the best one to give advice 'cause Jade trained me how, what, when to feed her.  When Eddy came to me, within a very short time he had me trained - same food/snack schedule as Jade!  (Figure she was communicating/teaching him from heavenWoman LOL!)  

The way I now look at it, in the wild, Henry would be eating mice, fish, et al. He'd never be eating the same foods on a daliy basis. So, that's why I'm a believer in variety and including 'people' food.  In fact, both Jade and now Eddy love milk!  My BFF has a cat named Grayson. she never, ever gives him milk.  Grayson, contrary to most, will only eat a specific brand of canned salmon.  She buys it by the case from Chewy!  And, thankfully Grayson doesn't live in the wild - he's afraid of miceWoman LOL!  Now, Eddy has caught and killed two mice - his first catch he brought in and dropped at my feet.  After realizing Mama didn't appreciate his bounty, he wanted to eat the other - I quickly put a stop to that.  Just trying to tell you in an entertaining way, we're all different and so are our babies.  And, viewing your posts and beautiful pics, I'm sure you'll soon figure out what pleases your precious Henry!Heart

@eddyandme  The only reason I wish he liked treats is because at some point he'll probably need to take medicine, and I don't know how I'll give it to him.  I've given other cats I've had treats in Pill Pockets.  Before Pill Pockets were invented I used to stuff the pills down their throats.  That wasn't fun at all!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack

I buy the soft wedge cheese packages at the grocery store and stick the pill in that; or wrap in Polish Loaf sandwich meat, which never met a dog that didn't love that!

Never had any luck with those pill pockets - they always manage to toss the pill out and just eat the pocketWoman Frustrated!

Perhaps if Henry needs pills you could stick it into a tuna fish ball!  I do freshly grate extra sharp cheddar cheese over Eddy's kibble which I place a SygnviG4 in - only way he'll eat it.

Esteemed Contributor

Henry's probably fine with his usual food and is likely just working something through his system. Check that his gums arent red/tender.

Rapid changes between cat food formulas, or frequent brand changes will upset their gut because they need time to develop changes in intestinal flora. I implore you to feed Henry foods that are age appropriate and formulated for the nutritional needs of a feline.

I suppliment with just a few fiber-dense 'treats' like peas & baked beans (mashed), corn kernels, or Poody's favorite, asparagus tips! 

I've written here before about making them "meat flavored water", especially to tide them over stretches of reduced appetite. It keeps them hydrated and there's a steady intake of needed nutrition until normal appetite picks up again. In times of reduced food intake, push fluids. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Henry's Food Choices Changing?? (Update)

Update:  I put his supper down, and he has eaten a lot of his canned food and a lot of his dry food from this morning.  I spoke too soon!  I shouldn't have been concerned.

Thanks so much for everyone's input!

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Henry's Food Choices Changing?? (Update)

Henry ate all of his food last night.  Whatever the problem was is over now.

-Henry David Thoreau