Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@NickNack

That's the kind I used on my unfinished wood entertainment center for my figurines which came crashing down.

I wouldn't trust it with a treasured item.

Thanks @KingstonsMom.  I edited my post to lolakimono after reading your reply.  I won't use it.  I would be devastated if anything happened to them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@NickNack.   My son's cat jumped up on the mantel, which was unusually high, knocked off and broke a hand-made pottery vase that I loved.  I tracked down the artist to order another but by that time he'd gotten so popular, he'd raised his prices significently and I couldn't afford what he was charging.  You're lucky you caught Henry when you did.

@Kachina624  I'm sorry that the cat broke your vase.  I did feel lucky that I caught Henry when he was up there.  

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@NickNack

Can you temporarily move the chest that Henry used to launch from?

Of course, I'd be happy to store your Staffordshire figurines for you, since my boy Kingston is a Staffordshire, LOL!

Just kidding, of course!

My house is small, and I have no place to put the chest if I move it @KingstonsMom.  Staffordshire is just what they're called.  They're really spaniels.  Smiley Happy

Here's a picture.  I moved them temporarily but don't like them here so wouldn't keep them where they are now.

IMG_1417.JPG

@NickNack

Oh, I see! Those are beautiful and have such special meaning for you!Heart

I really wouldn't try the museum stuff, especially since you said your mantle is finished, meaning it has a slick surface.

I used it on my unfinished wood, more porous, so you'd think anything would 'stick' better to it than on a slick surface, but after a short while, I heard them come crashing down.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@NickNack

I practice armchair cat psychology.

Could it be that Henry sees two dogs and would prefer to see one dog and one CAT on the mantel?Cat Tongue

Image result for cat knocking off a mantle gif

Honored Contributor

Thank you @KingstonsMom.  I'm not going to try the museum wax.  It's too risky.

@lolakimono  LOL with the cat and the bottle!

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono

Too cute, LOL!Heart

Thanks for the smile!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@NickNack

I practice armchair cat psychology.

Could it be that Henry sees two dogs and would prefer to see one dog and one CAT on the mantel?Cat Tongue

Image result for cat knocking off a mantle gif

That cat is a smart aleck.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack, I’m glad your treasured dogs weren’t broken.  They are remarkable.  Obviously, Henry could qualify for the kitty olympics.  @Kachina624, I’m sorry about your vase.  

Honored Contributor

@NickNack.   Do you have a place where you could have a shelf installed up high beyond Henry's reach just for the dogs?  How about over a door?  It's hard making suggestions without seeing your house.  Would you want to semi permanently attach them to the mantle with something like hot glue?  A couple of small dots on the corners would do it and they could be pried off with a sharp knife point and sanded off of the wood.  How about some small "L" brackets screwed into the wood and pushed against the bases of the dogs front and back?  Wood would be easily repairable when repainting.  Take a picture of dogs and go to a TruValue Hardware and ask for suggestions.  I've found them to be super helpful

In the meantime, I'm thinking.....

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@NickNack.   Do you have a place where you could have a shelf installed up high beyond Henry's reach just for the dogs?  How about over a door?  It's hard making suggestions without seeing your house.  Would you want to semi permanently attach them to the mantle with something like hot glue?  A couple of small dots on the corners would do it and they could be pried off with a sharp knife point and sanded off of the wood.  How about some small "L" brackets screwed into the wood and pushed against the bases of the dogs front and back?  Wood would be easily repairable when repainting.  Take a picture of dogs and go to a TruValue Hardware and ask for suggestions.  I've found them to be super helpful

In the meantime, I'm thinking.....

@Kachina624  Thanks for the suggestions.  I don't think there's a spot in my house for a shelf.  It's a small 1200 sq. ft. house.  I may try to arrange them where I have them now and just see if I can get them to look better there.  Of course that means that I don't have any place to put the pieces that were in that spot.  I just can't believe Henry can jump on the mantle.

-Henry David Thoreau