Honored Contributor

I heard something "plop" yesterday and ran into the living room to see Henry on the mantel.  I had two Staffordshire dogs on my mantel that are probably 180 years old.  They were my mothers, and I love them.  He was sitting beside them.  I didn't think he could jump up there.  He must have jumped onto the chest beside the mantel and then up to the mantel.  

I got him down and took the dogs down.  I don't have another place to put them, but would be devastated if they broke.  I don't even have a place to store them.  Hopefully in a year or two he won't be inclined to do something like that, and I can put them back up.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack

If you want to display them, can you use Museum Wax?

Image result for museum wax

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono  I wouldn't trust it to work.  I used it on something in the past, and it didn't work well.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack

Can you temporarily move the chest that Henry used to launch from?

Of course, I'd be happy to store your Staffordshire figurines for you, since my boy Kingston is a Staffordshire, LOL!

Just kidding, of course!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Henry On Mantel

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono  I looked up the museum wax that you posted, and it said it works best on wooden surfaces.  The mantel is painted wood, but the dogs obviously aren't.  Also, I had the dogs sitting on books so they would be at different heights.  Do you think it would work for them?  The dogs are pretty large.  They're 14" tall and 12" at the widest part at the bottom of the figures.  I could put them directly on the mantel instead of the books.

Have you used that brand before?  How do you get it off when you're ready to move the objects if it's that strong?  I really don't want to put the dogs away but would just die if they were broken.

Edited to say:  Never mind.  After reading the replies after this I wouldn't try it again.  It would be too upsetting to me if anything happened to them.

-Henry David Thoreau

Frequent Contributor

I had to take mermaids out of my bathroom. My cat, Orion, loves to knock stuff off of coutners, shelves, my desk , you name it. He even likes to try to knock picutres off the wall. The mermaids were my grandmothers. They were in her bathroom since I can remember. Better put away than broken.  

Honored Contributor

I've used the museum gel too and it didn't hold that well for me either.

Before long a couple of my small collectibles that I had used it for, fell onto my hardwood floor and that was the end of them......sniff.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@NickNack.   My son's cat jumped up on the mantel, which was unusually high, knocked off and broke a hand-made pottery vase that I loved.  I tracked down the artist to order another but by that time he'd gotten so popular, he'd raised his prices significently and I couldn't afford what he was charging.  You're lucky you caught Henry when you did.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@NickNack

Can you temporarily move the chest that Henry used to launch from?

Of course, I'd be happy to store your Staffordshire figurines for you, since my boy Kingston is a Staffordshire, LOL!

Just kidding, of course!

My house is small, and I have no place to put the chest if I move it @KingstonsMom.  Staffordshire is just what they're called.  They're really spaniels.  Smiley Happy

Here's a picture.  I moved them temporarily but don't like them here so wouldn't keep them where they are now.

IMG_1417.JPG

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack

That's the kind I used on my unfinished wood entertainment center for my figurines which came crashing down.

I wouldn't trust it with a treasured item.