Valued Contributor

All of you who have responded to this subject have calmed me down a bit---I felt so overwhelmed and crazed with anger when I started this text the other day----I just had to know that I wasn't the only one touched by this horrific disease--and that others have been able to cope with their loss in time. For some reason I'm having a harder time dealing with Gracie's loss than when Nikki died of the same disease--maybe because Nikki was an independent dog--Gracie was clingy and needed to be reassured all the time that she was loved and everything was all right--she was more of a baby than Nikki was.

I bought two pendants yesterday---one is a heart with Gracie's name engraved on the front and it can hold a pinch of her ashes--the other is a silver oval with a color laser engraved picture of Gracie with CZ stones around the frame--the picure I chose is one of my faves--her full face with a tiny white hair on her nose (it was HER hair--that tended to stick to every chair and piece of clothing I have)---that picture always made me smile when I saw it--so it will be perfect for a memorial pendant that I can wear. Having her ashes close to my heart calms me. Her ashes should be ready for pick-up next week----I know my husband and I will be one huge pile of tears that day.

I pray that an early detection and possibly a cure for this type of cancer is found someday---there are thousands of studies done everyday on ridiculous things---why can't this insidious disease be looked at aggressively since so many of our dear dogs die of it every year?

Again, thank you all for your kind thoughts and prayers---hope everyone has a Happy Easter and Passover!

May God (& St Francis) bless all of you and your past and present precious pets!!!!

Hugs,

GraciesMommy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hemangiosarcoma in Dogs

[ Edited ]

Jake was 9.5 when he passed. He was a golden. He collapsed and we had the fluid drained from his heart while we figured out what was wrong. Hexlived three weeks after that. You never would of known he was sick those three weeks. The worst part about this cancer is there are no signs until the dog collapses. Boxers, goldens, and I believe GSD are the ones that get it the most..

Esteemed Contributor

My niece was dropped off for us to watch the day jake passed. Hexwas happy and begging for my food. It’s so weird that five minutes later he collapsed again and couldn’t get up.  My mom called my dad at work and said this is the end for him and we need to take him in. My dad came home and they spent a few minutes with him before taking him in to be pts. It was really hard after bringing him home the first time not knowing when he would collapse again and be the end.