Trusted Contributor

My 7 year old lab seems to be coming out of her remission with IMT, immune mediated thrombocytopenia...we almost lost her four years ago and after several transfusions, lots of meds, and a lengthy stay at the vet hospital we brought our girl home and she’s been very good...however, a few weeks ago we brought her in for her semi annual blood check and her platelets were lower than they want to see and on top of that her red blood count is low, that combination is called Evans Syndrome and often it’s not a good outcome.

My problem is the med she is on, Azathioprine, makes her nauseous, so now she’s not eating much and therefore won’t take her pills in her food, any food, not even pill pockets...I’m going to have to resort to putting them down her throat I guess, does anyone have any ideas??  She’s a large dog, and I’m sure I can get them down the first time, but am worried she’ll start fighting me as the days go on....she also started throwing up, which is another side effect of this drug...

i should hear back in a day or two and hopefully her levels have risen..I’m going to talk with the vet on possibly changing this med...this is not a steroid which is what she was on four years ago.  As you can imagine I’m heartbroken and hope we can fight this again.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Esteemed Contributor

Have you asked your vet about the drug cerenia to combat the nausea...it can be given by injection or pill.  It has worked with our dogs and cats.

It's such an emotional roller coaster caring for a pet with a chronic illness. Prayers being sent for you and your beloved pup!

Valued Contributor

@Karie2022

Peanut butter, Braunschweiger, Liver?

Rolaids for an upset tummy works for my dogs.

Injectable Valium can make them ravenous. 

The vomiting is troubling. 

I am so sorry for this set back. I wish for you the very best..

Honored Contributor

Dear Noellephoto, it isn't easy when the pets that own our hearts get sick.   She is still on the young side so she has that in her favor.   And now she will get prayers going up from all over.   Give her kisses and huggins from me,   Blessings to your family,   From SC 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm so sorry that you and your lab are going through this difficult time, @Karie2022.  A suggestion I have that might help is this.  Maybe your dogs medicine could be made into liquid form.  

My mothers dog is very ill right now with heart disease and has to take 6 medications twice a day.  The only way we can get the medicine in him is in liquid form which, by the way, is chicken flavored (comes in beef flavor too).  Maybe the pet hospital that you deal with can suggest a pharmacy that could do this for you.  It might be a viable option.

My best wishes to you and your pet.  

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for all your well wishes...I may have to pull her off this med, she has had a violent reaction to this med today, at this point it may be doing more harm than good..of course it’s possible it’s not the med, her appetite was good until today..yet she’s been on it for two weeks..but maybe the accumulation of the med..??

i will call her vet in the am and see what she thinks...poor sweetie, she’s so good, she tries to get to the door to get outside before she has an accident, didn’t quite make it this time....medication is wonderful, but sometimes it causes a lot more issues...Smiley Sad

Trusted Contributor

@Sammycat1wrote:

Have you asked your vet about the drug cerenia to combat the nausea...it can be given by injection or pill.  It has worked with our dogs and cats.

It's such an emotional roller coaster caring for a pet with a chronic illness. Prayers being sent for you and your beloved pup!

I have not, but if I keep her on this, I certainly will...thank you!!

Trusted Contributor

@Lapdogwrote:

@Karie2022

Peanut butter, Braunschweiger, Liver?

Rolaids for an upset tummy works for my dogs.

Injectable Valium can make them ravenous. 

The vomiting is troubling. 

I am so sorry for this set back. I wish for you the very best..

Tried liver, peanut butter, Danish, bologna, etc...all things she loves...she just doesn’t have an appetite, which is a side effect of this drug...

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Sweet Caroline 1wrote:

Dear Noellephoto, it isn't easy when the pets that own our hearts get sick.   She is still on the young side so she has that in her favor.   And now she will get prayers going up from all over.   Give her kisses and huggins from me,   Blessings to your family,   From SC 

Thank you❤️

Trusted Contributor

@Citrine1wrote:

I'm so sorry that you and your lab are going through this difficult time, @Karie2022.  A suggestion I have that might help is this.  Maybe your dogs medicine could be made into liquid form.  

My mothers dog is very ill right now with heart disease and has to take 6 medications twice a day.  The only way we can get the medicine in him is in liquid form which, by the way, is chicken flavored (comes in beef flavor too).  Maybe the pet hospital that you deal with can suggest a pharmacy that could do this for you.  It might be a viable option.

My best wishes to you and your pet.  

Yes I was thinking of a liquid form, I’ll ask...I’m sorry for your mom’s dog..she is my first dog as an adult, I always had cats until her...I thought I was a cat person until I got her...so much love❤️❤️