Trusted Contributor

Help, paws are burning on deck!

Hi, 

We had huge trees removed behind our home. The view is great, but our deck gets so hot midday I cannot walk barefoot, and neither can my dog.  I've place down indoor/outdoor runners, but after just a few minutes they are scorching as well.

Are there any outddor runners, or large rugs which don't get hot?

Cat Very HappyHeartCat Very Happy

FURBABIES ARE THE BREATH OF LIFE
Honored Contributor

Re: Help, paws are burning on deck!

@skittles2 I'm not a dog owner but I do know there are booties you can buy to protext your dog's paws from hot pavements and such.

Trusted Contributor

Dean Premium Heavy Duty Indoor/Outdoor Green Artificial ...

artificial greens? You can buy it right at home depot

Trusted Contributor

outdoor carpet with obstacles | Backyard Bliss ...

Honored Contributor

As for you,  put some shoes on,

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@skittles2 

Maybe the best thing is to look for some type of awning that attaches to the house & can be retracted when not in use?  I've recently seen commercials on TV for some but do not remember the name.  Or just quite a few patio umbrellas that mostly everyone uses with the tables.  Anything that sits in the sun will get scorching hot so the main thing is to not let the sun hit the areas in the first place & by blocking it as much as possible.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

Cover the dog's paws and put some shoes on your feet. Problem solved! or sandals (not a fan of flip flops myself).

Other suggestions posted might help.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Hi, Thanks everyone!   I had a few outdoor runners we placed around. However, in the 3 minutes it took to place them they were hot too.  I went online and googled outdoor rugs that didn't get hot,  well most of them do, the makers don't consider pets, people without shoes may be walking upon them.  I only walk barefoot when I'm running out for a few minutes, but I didn't want my little guy to feel any discomfort.

I found a rug @ HomeDep..   good reviews from questions about hotness. Went right out and bought 3, as soon as I placed them I could tell a massive difference, thank goodness! 

All these years of living in my current home we've had huge trees in front of the deck.  We had them cut down this week, knew the deck would become much warmer, but the boards were nothing I've felt before. Whew!

I've been  condsidering an awning or canopy too, and getting an umbrella.  Looked at q's, not a lot of good reviews, though.

Thanks again!

Cat Very HappyHeartCat Very Happy

FURBABIES ARE THE BREATH OF LIFE
Honored Contributor

Those plastic patio mats that QVC and other  retailers sell do not get hot in the sun.  I have them on my deck and walk barefoot on them all of the time.

Esteemed Contributor

@skittles2  Just wondering how are the Home Depot rugs working

out for you and your dog? 

Are they special cooling rugs? I am in the same situation in the

back of my house, the sun hits so strongly and now that it is

approaching 90's out I was just curious.