Trusted Contributor

Help/cat litter sticking to cat's paws

I just tried the new Arm and Hammer Slide litter and it doesn't do what it says it will. It does not 'slide' out of the litter box and my cat keeps getting wet litter imbedded in her paws. Help!!!  Is there anything out there that works? Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Help/cat litter sticking to cat's paws

There are litter type rugs & mats on the market that you place outside the litter box that works.  Just about all pet stores sell them.

I have the Open Air Litter box.  I personally spray PAM on the bottom of the litter box.  The litter slides right out.  No litter sticks on paws.

I use Fresh Step litter.  Very minimal to no tracking all over the house.  I do use a "litter mat."

HTH

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

Ive never tried SLIDE because I was doubtful that it'd do what it says, so I'm glad I was right. Anyway, I have a lot of cats, four litter boxes and go through litter quickly, so for that reason I don't buy the expensive stuff that probably is better for non-tracking through the house and kitty paw pads. I use Tidy Cats 4 in 1 strength clumping litter. It works really well with odor and the only time I notice any on their feet is if they already have wet paws going in.

Honored Contributor

I've used all the various kinds of arm and hammer litters.  I have a couple thoughts.  Scooping frequency and depth of scooping.  Trying adding an extra scoop time to your routine.  Do you hit the bottom of the box when you scoop.  My mother has that issue.

Honored Contributor

I used a rubber mat outside the "entrance" to the litter box (the box had a cover to it so the kitty had to go in and out at the same place and the mat had little raised rubber prongs all over it... I thought it did an outstanding job.  I tended to use regular litter and put my own box of baking soda on the bottom before I put the litter in.  I also used a basic clumping litter sometimes.

I miss my kitties..... Heart   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac .You reminded me that I used to buy a spray in the cat aisle at Wal-Mart that was for littler boxes.  They stopped selling it.  I don't remember the name, but it was a cat litter product.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My litter doesn't stick to the pan. I keep two to three and a half inches of litter in each oversized pan. Did you add your 'Slide' to a smooth clean pan?

Some cats have a surprising amount of hair between their toes. My Swee'Pea gets a little trim when she's tracking a lot.

If she leaves the litter box, crosses the cleaning rug and 25' of basement floor, climbs a flight of stairs, and is STILL tracking litter when she gets up to living quarters, she needs a trim!!!

I see that litter you bought comes with a satisfaction guarantee.

Did you write to them, or just us?

Honored Contributor

I use Fresh Step Ultra Unscented.  There is very minimal tracking, although I do use a litter mat.  I haven't noticed any litter getting stuck to my kitten's paws.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@GCR18

My grocery store use to sell some sort of liquid you spray on the bottom of litter boxes to stop the wastes from sticking.  I think it was called "No Stick."  Too expensive for my taste.  Besides, I never saw it in the local pet stores.

My local Dollar Store sells 2 large cans of PAM package for a buck.  Been using that now for eons.  Being lazy has it's advantage.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

I started using the Breeze litter box system a month ago. It uses pellets instead of litter. No tracking. The cats urine goes into a pad lined tray in the bottom. I love the whole concept. I wish they’d come out with this system years ago!!