Respected Contributor

Help! any suggestions about my fearful persians?

I have 2 beautiful loveable persians cats who are very affectionate to My Hubby and me But! are very fearful of anyone who enters my house whether they be friends or family. They hide out of fear! They will not come out of hiding for hours and when we go out they hide until we come home. They won't eat under those conditions but are physically healthy 1 yr. old sisters.. I have had persians in the past and never had this problem. They shake when someone looks under the couch or bed just to take a look at them. They both have eye drainage and need to be cleaned properly every day. The vet said most likely they will grow out of it but I doubt it. Has anyone had this problem with their pets? If so did you find a solution?  I feel so sad for them.

Honored Contributor

Re: Help! any suggestions about my fearful persians?

My cat is also fearful of anyone or anything other than our family.  He hides whenever someone comes in the house or even when a strange vehicle comes in the drive.  (He knows our cars and is not afraid of them.)  He is six years old now, we found him as a kitten, and he has always done this.  Most  of our friends have never even seen him.

I just let him be.  When we have visitors in the house, I often will close the door to the bedroom to let him feel safer (his safe place is under the bed).  When he knows we are once again alone, he comes out.  He used to be very nervous and look all around fearfully, but over the years he has calmed down so that now, while he still hides around people, once they're gone, he comes out immediately without being nervous.

With time, your cats will probably calm down.  They might not ever really learn to like other people, but might not be afraid of them after they're older.

Trusted Contributor

We have 3 kitties. Our buff tabby is a hider too, while the others are very social.

I notice that the buff tabby will stay out if if the people are soft spoken, and we're told that he's stayed out if someone has come in to give him food when we are away.

When we know we're having guests I just put him in a bedroom and he'll hide under the covers until everyone leaves. If it's his dinnertime I'll bring him in food, close the door back up and he'll eat. That's just how he is and at 10 years old I don't expect him to change.

He is very sweet and affectionate to me and hubby when it's just us hanging around.

Trusted Contributor

My furbabies are 2 year old brother and sister.   They also are very affectionate with me but they both run and hide when a vehicle comes in the driveway.    They were feral kittens that I caught by hand at weaning time.  They don't get upset when I have company they just go hide.  They come check me over as soon as people leave.  They are healthy and happy and that is what counts.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it's just a personality thing.  I have three tuxedo males from the same litter.  Two are social when people come over and one is terrified and hides.  The one who hides was also the runt of the litter.  Maybe that has something to do with it?  But he's very affectionate with me.  He's definitely a one-person cat.

Edited to add: They are almost four years old.

Respected Contributor

Thankyou ladies for your thoughts and your own experiences. As long as they are healthy & lovable toward us is what counts.