Respected Contributor

Re: Help With an Elderly Dog

I apologize for not responding back but it’s been a very long week. After many discussions with the vet, the outlook is not good. The results of the ultrasound have proven what the vet thought. Buddy has a tumor on his adrenal gland, along with other health concerns and his age not being on his side. I have a choice to make now and the worst part is ahead.

I don’t know where to begin to thank you all for your kind and supportive words of comfort. Special thanks to those that touched my heart was birdmama and Homegirl. And Tissyanne, you are right that the responses here are a testament to the goodness in people who care and that I would find strength here. That’s what I really needed ... strength and support.

No, I was not looking for money so for those “concerned” about that, there was no need. And the remark about being human – well YOU certainly are a testament to that.

PenneyT, your words were very helpful. It kind of put it all in perspective for me today when after reading your post. I don’t want to be in this position but it’s all on me now. What you said about trying not to keep him around just for my sake, to do what's best for him and that spending a lot of money does not necessarily equal the best choice for him – it’s helped me tremendously. I really needed to hear that.

Tends2dogs, you have been the sweetest of all, sending your thoughts and understanding daily. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You are very special.

Sometimes a person just needs to know there are people that care. Thank You.Heart

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Super Contributor

Karnerblue, hang in there! Big picture: you have given your little guy a sweet and happy life, with love and care. He is at the end of his earthly time, ready for the next life (yes, I'm a Christian that believes that the Lord provides for all life), and as sad as it is, at least he has love right up to the end. You will know what is best for him, compassion and mercy. Hugs from me to you in this difficult time.
Esteemed Contributor

Karnerblue, my heart has opened to you and your little Lhasa, and rays of love and empathy are reaching out to you both. Remember that grief is not a sign of weakness, but evidence of love. Let your tears freely flow.
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

You've shown great courage and love for your beloved dog, even though the result is far from what you hoped.  You have cared for him beautifully over the years, and he knows that he is cherished and in the best hands possible.

Our prayers are here for you -- and we hope during your time of heartbreak they bring you some comfort and solace.

Trusted Contributor

Karnerblue, I am so sorry that the news from the vet is so devastating.  Your little guy has been your companion, your friend, has at times during the years been a source of entertainment, and most of all has given you his love, his loyalty, and his devotion.  

Yes, the decision you have to make now is not an easy one, but you have to do what is best for him.  It is always difficult for those left behind, but when he crosses over that Rainbow Bridge he will be free of pain, free of disease, and free to run, jump, and play like he used to be able to do.  He trusts you to help him and do what is best for him.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, your little Buddy, and your husband.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Contributor

Holding you close in my heart & prayers  for the strength to sustain you.  Peace & comfort for Buddy.

Love and blessings to you.

Honored Contributor

I know it hurts so much. I really do. You've given him a long, full life. Their time on this earth is always too short. Sending you prayers and strength and when the time is right, I will ask my boys to welcome Buddy at the Rainbow Bridge.

Respected Contributor

@Karnerblue wrote:

Have a Lhasa Apso that is 16 years old.  He's been acting very strangly this past week or so.  No matter what I'm doing he follows me panting very heavily and making strange low growlin noises.  The only time he's quiet is when i'm sitting on the couch and he will get as close as he can to me but the minute I get up, he jumps down and follows me wherever I go.  If I sit in the chair, he will circle the chair and constantly pant and whine and then he just goes behind the couch and all around the living room.  He then will lay down at my feet for three/four seconds, and then up and circling the room.  It's driving me crazy.  I can't get a minute to myself.  I feel like I'm going to lose it.  It's almost maddening.  I just don't know what to do.

=====

My dog is about 15 yrs. old and is doing the same thing.  She is not well and is in the hospital.  I cry everyday over my little darling.  Your dog might be telling you he doesn't feel well.  Have you done recent blood work?  Maybe his kidneys hurt.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

@Karnerblue wrote:

First, thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your kindness.  This is so difficult for me.  I've never been through this.  It's been a very long four days.  This is the worst thing ever.  I can't even talk to anyone because I get to emotional I can't even get the words out.  I've picked up the phone a number of times to call my daughter, my son, or someone ...but I can't.  Even now writing this is almost unbearable. 

After an entire day of testing and another sleepless night, the signs are devastating.  But you were all so nice to me I had to let you all know how grateful I am to each of you. 

I now have a stack of bills ahead of me that I don't know how I will pay, I have to tell my husband what I did (without his consent) and face him when he gets home, I can't even eat I'm so distressed.  Then we have to face what's next.  How does anyone do this.  How in the name of God do you get through this????   I just don't even know what to do next.  Now I know what hearbreak really feels like.

I have to sign off now.  This is unbearable.

======

I'm just now reading thru the messagess.  I haven't gotten to the one where you've told us what is wrong with your dog.  In the last 9 months, I have spent over $7,000 on my dog.  I didn't know she would get as sick as she is now.  I cry every day.  She's in the hospital, and I'm crying now.  Your dog is probably sick and is trying to tell you.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

@Karnerblue wrote:

I apologize for not responding back but it’s been a very long week. After many discussions with the vet, the outlook is not good. The results of the ultrasound have proven what the vet thought. Buddy has a tumor on his adrenal gland, along with other health concerns and his age not being on his side. I have a choice to make now and the worst part is ahead.

Sometimes a person just needs to know there are people that care. Thank You.Heart

===============================

I am so grateful for these boards.  I'm so sorry about your little doggie.  It's so painful to know they are suffering -- and that's what your dog was trying to tell you.  I've been in the same situation for a while.  I've been crying all day over my dog.  In fact, I ended up here because I was about to post about my situation, then I saw your message.  I've been blaming myself for months.  I feel like I let my little doggie down.  Maybe I didn't take care of her the way I should have. ... I am so grief-stricken .... my eyes are so swollen & puffy from crying so much.  Don't worry about the money.  Just know you did the best you could under the circumstances.  I hope you feel better.  Take care of yourself.