Trusted Contributor

Re: Help With an Elderly Dog

Karnerblue:  I am so deeply sorry and almost crying for you and for your Buddy as I am typing this. I don't know what to suggest as far as payment for the bills, but it sounds ike some other posters have some very good information. I know it takes time to call/contact the suggested places, but if some type of financial assistance can be found perhaps your husband's stress will be lower.

We have had three dogs in our married life.  The first dog, Skipper, died of bone cancer. We had vet bills of about $200 a month (at that time---it probably would be double now) for several months.  But, as long as he was able to enjoy life and was not in pain, that was our obligation to him for all his faithful, loyal, and loving years he gave to us.  The vet was going to come Saturday after the clinic closed at noon to put him down----Skipper died at 3:40 a.m. that morning.  

The second dog was Sandy.  She was a little spitfire but that just endeared her to people.  She also gave us such unconditional love and loyalty all her years.  She had a stroke on a Saturday morning, we took her in, and we had to put her down the following Friday afternoon.  She had been having mini-strokes and we knew this was what was for her.

Both dogs, the last thing they did was look at us with their big brown eyes and you could see them saying "good-bye" but also "thank you".  

I pray that you are able to find some assistance for Buddy's expenses and for your husband's understanding and acceptance of the situation.  Of course, you and Buddy are already in my prayers and may all the thoughts and prayers of all the posters here give you the strength, fortitude, and comfort in the days ahead.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Frequent Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Savetheanimals, you've voiced your opinion.  Thanks for stopping by. 

No problem - anytime!!  I don't think she even took her dog to the vet. You don't get a stack of bills from the vet. You usually have to pay right away. I care about animals, but to be truthful not that much about humans. Animals first, humans last!

Contributor

I share your tears : (

I just had to set free my 13 year old golden boy, Cody on June 4th. 

I have had several dogs through the years to grieve. 

The grieving process is difficult. 

Letting you know that I hold you close in my heart during your season of grief.

I am the one with Frost the Wen girl.  I have other dogs as well.  Although they help, the loss of Cody for me and my husband is hard to deal with and will be for a long time.

In light and love to you.

"Everyone understands a smile."

Honored Contributor

@savetheanimals wrote:

Sorry if this is not nice, but this thread is odd. She seems more concerned about her husband and the bills, not her poor dog. I find that very sad. Also why did she not tell what the vet found???? So many people are concerned and offering advise and help, but nothing from her. Sorry but I have no compassion for her, only her poor dog. Hopefully he is not suffering. If I was afraid of what my husband thought about bills to help my animals, that would mean it is time to get rid of him!! This thread is so sad and odd at the same time!

I see where you are coming from and understand but it sounds like she went ahead and did what was right anyway (hopefully???), regardless of her "worry" of her husband's reaction. Hopefully her husband will be kind and know that she did the right thing and if he doesn't, then I hope she stood up to him and told him that she knows she did the right thing and that she made an executive decision and end of discussion.

The dog was in pain and hurting and they had no idea why so how could you not bring him to the vet? Most of us have had struggles with finances at one time or other but when something is an emergency, you FIND a way to do what you have to do, you find a way to make it happen. I hoping and praying this is what KB did.

Frequent Contributor

Yes, for heaven's sake get him to the vet and do a workup on this dog.And an ultrasound.  Some of this stuff ( not the growling and panting tho' that's got to be something else) is related to old age and cognitive deterioration.My dog ( a 15 and a half year old lhasa) takes two nutritional supplements, Zylkene ( to make him less anxious) and Neutricks (for healthy brain functioning.They seem to help him mentally.  But DO get this dog to a good vet for a checkup.

Frequent Contributor

Yeah, ditto.  They come before me.

@Adelina wrote:

This thread is soooooo sad. I would rather go without food or pawn what I could in order to take my pets to the vet. They are a part of the family and we take full responsibility for them when we decide to own pets. Dogs, in particular are terribly loyal and dependant on their owners. I could cry reading this thread...

Edited to add: my cats are getting up there in age and I am even more attentive to their aches and pains because I want them happy and alive for many more years.

Yeah. Ditto.  They come before me.

Esteemed Contributor

Karnerblue:

Please know that your friends at Pet Lovers are still thinking of you and your little guy.  We understand that this is a difficult time for you and many of us have been in the same situation, having to make difficult decisions concerning our beloved pets.

We are here whenever you choose to post again.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

Karnerblue:

Please know that your friends at Pet Lovers are still thinking of you and your little guy.  We understand that this is a difficult time for you and many of us have been in the same situation, having to make difficult decisions concerning our beloved pets.

Same message today as it was yesterday.  We are here for you, Karnerblue. 

Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

Karnerblue:

Same message today as it was yesterday.  We are here for you, Karnerblue. 

Super Contributor

Karnerblue, my heart goes out to you.

Unfortunately, this is one of those heartbreaking times in life, and the added stress of financial realities doesn't help. Do what you can for your little guy, within your means. We've been through this, and you just think you will never stop crying.
With ours, we said we'll keep him going until the pain meds stop working, then do the compassionate thing. That basically gave us a few weeks to say goodbye, for which we were gratefule. (The worst part was not being able to tell his female doggie companion what had happened, that was AWFUL, she passed about a month later. More tears.)
Try not to keep him around just for your sake, do what's best for him, treat him how you would want to be treated, and remember that spending a lot of money does not necessarily equal the best choice for him. May you have peace soon. Hugs.