Esteemed Contributor

Re: Help With an Elderly Dog

Karnerblue:

I am sure that the others of Pet Lovers join me in wanting you to know that we continue to keep you and your sweet dog in our thoughts and prayers.

We hope that your vet offered some relief for your little guy, no matter what it may be.  We love our pets so much and the kindest thing we can do for them is to not let them suffer.    It is the hardest part of pet ownership.

Take care and let us know how things are going when you can.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Contributor

I agree with many others comments that your furbaby is telling you, " I am hurting and not feeling well."  Hope your vet gives you some answers.  Good luck.  Keeping both of you in thoughts and prayers until we all hear an update. 

Respected Contributor

First, thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your kindness.  This is so difficult for me.  I've never been through this.  It's been a very long four days.  This is the worst thing ever.  I can't even talk to anyone because I get to emotional I can't even get the words out.  I've picked up the phone a number of times to call my daughter, my son, or someone ...but I can't.  Even now writing this is almost unbearable. 

After an entire day of testing and another sleepless night, the signs are devastating.  But you were all so nice to me I had to let you all know how grateful I am to each of you. 

I now have a stack of bills ahead of me that I don't know how I will pay, I have to tell my husband what I did (without his consent) and face him when he gets home, I can't even eat I'm so distressed.  Then we have to face what's next.  How does anyone do this.  How in the name of God do you get through this????   I just don't even know what to do next.  Now I know what hearbreak really feels like.

I have to sign off now.  This is unbearable.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

It would help us to help you if you told us specifically what happened with your dog.  What's the diagnosis?  It sounds like he is alive but facing a serious illness.  Please let us know.

We've all had pets get ill toward the end of their lives, and some of us have faced very complex and life-threatening problems that caused great emotional and financial stress.  If you are more specific, we can help you with what's overwhelming right now.

The important thing is:  You stepped up to the plate for your beloved dog -- first things first.  Second things second:  please rely on friends and family for emotional support.  They will help get you through this.  Third things third:  call your vet and arrange a sliding scale payment plan for the expenses to show your husband you are sensitive to the reality of your finances even as you're trying to tend your pet's suffering.

It's also helpful to ask your vet what he/she would do if Buddy were their pet.

Love makes you stronger than you think you can ever be -- and you've already shown that by taking your dog to the vet.  It WILL carry through tough times ahead.  And I wouldn't say that if I hadn't lived it.

And let us know what's happening.  We are here!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Karnerblue - by the time it came for me to give Max back to God, I had already done that type of things several times in my life.  If this is your first time with an elderly and ill pet, I can understand how this is overwhelming to you.

There are a couple of things that I need you to read and understand.  I promise that I am not writing these things to hurt you in any way, shape or form.

1.  Your little dog is 16 years old, which is a testament to the level of care

that he has received from you.  Unfortunately, our companions cannot

ever life the lifespan we would want for them. 

2.  In regards to any suggested treatment by the veterinarian.   it's much

like medicine and procedures for people - just because they can

doesn't always mean they should.  You have to think about the age of

your little dog and what kind of quality of life he will have.  

3.  I'm not sure how to advise you about the fact that your husband will

hit the roof when he sees the bills.   

I don't want you to look at your dog and feel that somehow, because you cannot afford treatment, that you are a lousy dog mama.  Life is harsh sometimes Karnerblue and your financial situation must be considered in decision making.

May pet lovers that are posting on this thread have been in similar positions and have had to make difficult decisions regarding treatment and the future of their beloved companion animals.

There is no judgement here Karnerblue.  When you want to talk - we'll be around to support you.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Can anyone help Karnerblue with a Go Fund Me page for her dog?   I do not know how to do this.

Trusted Contributor

If the vet is an AAHA vet, there is a program to help pay for vet bills, too.    There are other programs to help pay for future bills.   I believe "IMom" lists them.    

Valued Contributor

Oh my gosh this just made me so sad.

I am so, so sorry for whatever the vet had told you. It sounds like whatever the diagnosis was, was not a good one.

I have had a very similiar experience. My 14yr old pup was diagnosed with cancer in Feb and was gone by April (2 days before my birthday she passed).

For me, this was my first death with a dog. I had her since she was a pup too. It's heartbreaking, it's mean, it's not fair. I devoted my entire time with my dog, slowed down my work schedule and when I did have to work I made sure someone was home with her just in case something was to happen.

All I can say is, is to do whatever feels best for you and your situation. Unfortunately with my dogs diagnosis, the cancer has spread so much that there really wasn't anything we could do but to make her as comfortable as possible until it was time. It seems like you might be in a similar situation. Love every minute with your pup. Give lots of extra kisses and hugs and take lots of pictures. Your husband will forgive you for the bills.

Honored Contributor

I am so sorry, Karnerblue. I don't know what you are facing but I've had to face the ultimate decision for my dogs a few times now and it is the worst but your sweet dog has had such a long, wonderful life and you have to focus on that.

I've lost dogs at a very young age in the past and that is hard too so when one of my older dogs let me know it is time, I find a tad of comfort in knowing they've lived such a long, full life. It is never easy and yes, it hurts, unbearably so, I'm not going to sugar coat it, but there will come a day when you can remember all the good times and smile and laugh more than you cry. I still think of all my dogs I've had to say goodbye to, young and old, and miss them all every day but I also remember all the joy they brought me. I know your heart aches. I really do know.

Big hugs to you and know that all of us have been there so I hope you know that we are here if you want to "talk" about anything and know that we will understand.

Honored Contributor

@CaitlinH wrote:

Oh my gosh this just made me so sad.

I am so, so sorry for whatever the vet had told you. It sounds like whatever the diagnosis was, was not a good one.

I have had a very similiar experience. My 14yr old pup was diagnosed with cancer in Feb and was gone by April (2 days before my birthday she passed).

For me, this was my first death with a dog. I had her since she was a pup too. It's heartbreaking, it's mean, it's not fair. I devoted my entire time with my dog, slowed down my work schedule and when I did have to work I made sure someone was home with her just in case something was to happen.

All I can say is, is to do whatever feels best for you and your situation. Unfortunately with my dogs diagnosis, the cancer has spread so much that there really wasn't anything we could do but to make her as comfortable as possible until it was time. It seems like you might be in a similar situation. Love every minute with your pup. Give lots of extra kisses and hugs and take lots of pictures. Your husband will forgive you for the bills.

Caitlin, this is very close to my experience. One day I came home and my dog had collapsed. We rushed him to the ER and that very day, the test results had come back from the lab on a tumor he had showing it was a very aggressive form of cancer.  Because he was already pretty much in a coma, we made the heartbreaking decision to let him go. It was so shocking and unexpected- a diagnosis and a collapse all in one day. Smiley Sad