Trusted Contributor

Re: Help With an Elderly Dog

Rina

Your dog could be afraid of what is happening with her body.    She also may not be able to get up or move, for that matter.    Holly walked like a drunk for a few months then finally could not even turn her body at all.    She could not hold her head out of a water bowl.    

Be calm for her and comfort her.    You must think of her quality of life, too, as well as her pain level. Holly stopped eating and drank little.    Physically, she was totally helpless.     I laid beside her for days on end.    When there is nothing else to do to help them and they are in pain and/or helpless, you will know.    

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina wrote:

My dog just fell off the bed.  Her bed is only 7" high, but she couldn't get up off the floor.

I called Animal Control so I could have her euthannized.  They're open 24/7.  Now, she's hiding under the dining room table and won't get up.  I'm chain-smoking.  I can't MAKE her move from under the table.

It's as if she's saying -- No!  I won't go!  Not now!

I am at my wits end.  

I don't know how much more of this I can take.

We've been suffering for along time.  I've spent $7K on her care.

I've had "healers" do "hands-on" healing.  Acupunture, laser treatments ...

I don't know what else to do, but let her die.

Sweetie, you're being much too hard on yourself. Your dog isn't afraid of you and doesn't for a second think you're trying to harm her. She may very well be afraid of what's happening to her body and doesn't know what to do. Your dog loves you very much and no matter what happens, she won't hold a grudge and know that you've done your best.

@Karnerblue, I'm sorry for the pain you're going through as well.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Honored Contributor

Karnerblue...

Sending more very special prayers and Comfort Hugs to you and your preciois Buddy.

((((((((((((KARNERBLUE & HER BELOVED BUDDY)))))))))

--------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Honored Contributor

OMG, I just checked the thread and read RinaRina's post from last night. 

@RinaRina

Did anyone come over to to help your little one go back to God? 

RinaRina, we do the best that we can for our little ones.  Eventually we get to the point where our love is tested and we have to make the choice to put our little one's happiness ahead of our own. 

Please know, it's not a sign of failure.  As hard as it is, it's the circle of life.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Rina,

I don't know what happened with your dog since you last posted, but I am thinking of you, as I'm sure others here are.  Your situation is truly awful, and not to denegrate your feelings, but believe me, many others have gone through the same things and know exactly how you feel.

You say you don't know what else to do for her but to let her die.  As cruel as this is may seem, sometimes that's the best thing you can do for them.  It's your final act of love for their presence here before they go on.

Please--be sad, be heartbroken, be all those things that we feel in those times of our lives.  But don't blame yourself.  Looking back, we all find things we could have, should have done differently.  You did the best you could at the time and that's all anyone can do. 

If your little one is still with you now, please try to calm down for her.  Let her time left be as calm and loving as possible.  If she is no longer with you, grieve, but don't blame.  Your faithful companion wouldn't want that for you.  My thoughts and prayers...Heart

Regular Contributor

It sounds like he may be going into Congestive Heart Failure ...or pulmonary edema.  You should immediately get this poor baby to the vet.  ASAP....  he knows he is very seriously ill and that's why he is following you - he is frightened.  RUN don't walk to the phone and call your vet NOW

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

My dog just fell off the bed.  Her bed is only 7" high, but she couldn't get up off the floor.

I called Animal Control so I could have her euthannized.  They're open 24/7.  Now, she's hiding under the dining room table and won't get up.  I'm chain-smoking.  I can't MAKE her move from under the table.

It's as if she's saying -- No!  I won't go!  Not now!

I am at my wits end.  

I don't know how much more of this I can take.

We've been suffering for along time.  I've spent $7K on her care.

I've had "healers" do "hands-on" healing.  Acupunture, laser treatments ...

I don't know what else to do, but let her die.

Many vets will come to your home and do it. They will first administer a relaxing shot, just so your baby won't be scared and will relax. I hope and pray the animal control will do this as well since just giving them the lethal shot isn't very pleasant for anyone.

It sounds like you'v done all you can and it sounds like it really is time to let your baby go. I undertand about cost as I've spent a fortune as well but money really isn't any good if we can't relieve their suffereing and make them whole again. We have to be the strong ones and help them move on. It is the most humane, most unselfish thing, and the ultimate show of strength and love towards your pet that you can do.

Super Contributor

I am so very sorry about  the pain and fear of the possible  impending loss each of you  have  posted .If their time to leave you is here,hard as it is ,it is the last act of kindness and love you can give to your sweet dogs.

I know that sounds odd but I learned it the hard way with the loss of 3 of my bassets to cancer.My 1st to get cancer ,we had it removed several times and each time it came back,even worse.Now we look back and wonder if we tried to hold on to him too long..

He and my female basset were always inseperable .She was acting oddly 1 night after she had had dental surgery a week before and wanted to stay outside,very unusual for her.The next morning,she would not get up and my DH carried her to the car and took her to vet who thought he could help her.Next we get a call that if we want to see her again,that we better hurry.

My DH left his job and we rushed to vets.She died with me holding her...There was never a diagnosis of cancer but we felt like it had to be,since she got so sick so fast.

4 months later,the male with cancer just got worse and worse,despite meds,so we and the  vet knew it was past  time.We held him and talked to him and I read a passage I had found online to him..Everyone that worked there was in tears.

FF 3 yrs and another of my females developed cancer.This tumor was under her eye and could not be removed w/o causing numerous issues  for her,plus it had already spread..We did all we could to make her last days comfy for her but when that day came,we took her to vet and once again held her and talked softly to her as she joined the others at Rainbow Bridge.

I have another basset who recently became diabetic and bleeds in his urine everytime we take him off antibiotics.We have a week left on the 3rd med we have tried and if we still see blood,then ultrasound will be done to see if it is cancer,etc...So we fear we may lose him soon too.

I think I lose a little piece of my heart each time we lose 1 of them..But I try to remember the good times we had together and that soothes my soul..But it is still hard.

We have spent thousands of dollars on them and given them so much love but none of that compared to the love and joy they gave us..Their time seems so short to us.

We had a private cremation for each of them and my DH built a beautiful cabinet to put the urns in,complete with basset hound angels he had built..It sits in my den.

At the time of my 1st 2's losses,Ice Elements that used to be at HSN had a board and those sweet ladies found a website where you could light a candle for those that had passed.With the loss of my 1st and 2nd basset,my friends from IE and other friends lit a candle.It was a very sweet gesture and helped to know that so many cared.

So many have posted here that show how much we care for each of the sick pets and of course,you ladies that love them so much.My heart goes out to each of you.(((HUGS))

Sorry to write such a long post but please know that when it is time,your pet will let you know...Our vet will give them the shots free and only charge for the meds,if your animal is a patient...Maybe you can check with your vet about that.

I totally agree with HappyDaze's last paragraph.,especially her last sentence.

I will keep each of you in my prayers that your dog either recovers or that you know when it is time to let them go.The hardest  but most loving decision we can make for them.

Honored Contributor

Dawn, my heart goes out to you, boy did you ever have a series of losses close together.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

Birdmama(love your nic),Thank you.It has really been a hard last few yrs for our basset family.We treasure each minute with the 2 we have left.

I   was so sad to read about you losing your Max and all that you and him went through his last yrs.I almost cried when you said he was at the door but could not get up..I bet you 2 were very close.((((((HUGS)))))))

I hope the others will post soon and let us know how Buddy and forgive me but I cannot remember the other dog's name that was under the table.are doing.

My heart goes out to everyone who has lost a dear dog or kitty.They are truly part of our families.