Honored Contributor

Re: Help!!! We recently inherited 7 cats, any advice is welcome!

@brmmom wrote:

Happycat01, I am happy to report that all the kitties are fixed. My brother saw to that.

Thanks for sharing your experience. How often do you change the kitty litter?  I've been

Using freshstep and we changed it only once so far. I clean it out several times a day and 

We haven't had any odor problems but I'm not sure if we should be changing it more often.

@brmmom   I only have one cat.  I scoop the litter once a day and only change the box when it is dirty (poop stuck to sides of box).  That isn't very often.

If you want a less expensive litter Tidy Cats is good.  I use the unscented.  Cats don't like a scented litter according to my Vet and things that I've read.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

Thanks knickknack! One more question if you don't mind. Is it normal to find a small amount of throw up every day? Ok, just one more, I swear! Do I need to add something to their food or water for furballs?

Honored Contributor

@brmmom wrote:

Thanks knickknack! One more question if you don't mind. Is it normal to find a small amount of throw up every day? Ok, just one more, I swear! Do I need to add something to their food or water for furballs?

@brmmom   If the throw up is a hair ball that's not abnormal.  Otherwise, just plain throw up isn't normal.  I've had cats who've had hair balls every day.  The cat that I have now doesn't have them.  You can buy something in a tube that they lick off your fingers for hairballs.  You can find it at Chewy, probably Amazon or places like PetSmart.  It does help.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

If you don't want them, find them new homes.

Contributor

Thanks again NickNack. The throw up is just food, no hair. I'm thinking we were over feeding them. I will go to Petsmart and pick up a tube of hairball remedy just to be on the safe side. Thanks to you and everyone here for your input, we have so much to learn about caring for our new additions!

Contributor

To qualitygal I NEVER, NOT ONCE, said I didn't want them. We enjoy having them with us. They are my brothers' babies and we will love them and care for them for as long as they live. ALL Of THEM!

Honored Contributor

I think that is too many cats.... look for ways find some good homes

Contributor

Didn't ask for opinions, just advice on caring for cats, thanks but they already found a good home.

Valued Contributor

@brmmom  Some people...geesh.

I think it's wonderful of you and your DH. I know your brother is smiling down on you right now.That is no easy task to take over 7 cats. Especially being doggie parents.I have no insight as I have always just have kitties. I hope your transition goes smoothly.Lots of helpful people here.

I would only suggest to watch how much each is eating.If they gobble their food,they may be eating too fast.Or eating the other's food. I have one kitty that does that. If there is no hair,that can be the reason. You will just have to watch and gauge it.

I also use Tiday Cat unscented cat littler.You can buy it in 35 lb buckets for the savings. I have 3 indoor kitties with 2 boxes down and one up.There is no odor in my house.I switched to scoopable after my elder male got a UTI and vet suggested no more clay litter.Too much dust. 

That's all my sage advice. I wish you a happy life to you and your family. Best wishes!Cat Happy

Respected Contributor

@brmmom   Bless you for loving and caring for all those lovely furballs!  I may be able to save you some money on litter.   I only have one cat at a time, but lots of litter box use for my 15 pounder!  I only buy the scoopable kind that says it's dust free.  I never change the entire box.  I just scoop religiously every day and refill as necessary.  Been doing it that forever with no problems.

If they barf the food, then usually they are eating too fast (mine occasionally does that).  There could be a problem with the food, though, if it keeps up.  Mine has long hair, so lots of furballs, which I hate......but that's part of the game!

Laura loves cats!