Contributor

Re: Help!!! We recently inherited 7 cats, any advice is welcome!

Denisemb love the pictures, you can tell by looking at them that they lived a wonderful life.

I'm so sorry for your loss, too.

I didn't know so many people would respond to my post, it's really heartwarming and I wish I had done it sooner. 

I would absolutely LOVE a Roomba. Unfortunately my golden would be terrified of it. She does not like noise and is scared of everything.  Well except people and tennis balls!

Thanks for responding and for your advice.

PS

Not sharing my tuna sandwich with anybody! 

Frequent Contributor

You are doing a wonderful thing. Taking the cats in is going above and beyond! Also, 7 cats is not too many. I have 7 cats and we manage just fine. Everything is clean, and they all get the best vet care. It is a lot of work, but so worth it. I have many cat boxes, but because I have some larger cats, I get very large boxes, scoop often. You can tell when you need to change the litter completely. It all depends. Some boxes get used a lot, others not as much. Yes cats do throw up. Food, hairballs. Sometimes they eat too fast, too much. That is normal. I can't help with the dogs, we don't have any (wish we did). I saw you mentioned about letting them be able to go outside and come back in. I would not do it. So many bad things can happen and also they don't know your area like their previous home. There are too many bad people out there that will harm cats and animals if they go on their property. And also cars. I also feed the stray cats and provide shelter and you would not believe some of the things I have seen. Have rescued about 25 since we lived in our home and all have good homes. But most people around here don't care and do nothing. Best of luck with everything! You are a wonderful person.
Contributor

Butterfly Bush thank you for taking time out to respond to my embarrassingly desperate  cry for help! I thank you for your sympathy, your very kind!

I had never heard of Meijer brand before, but then again I didn't have 7 cats before either!

We are going to try the gate thing first and then introduce the kitty like the another poster suggested. I'm so happy to have gotten so much sound advice and good ideas.

Thank you!

Contributor

Elvislover not to worry! The only way the cats will be outside is if we build an enclosure around our basement door. My brother had one around his window in his back yard and the cats

Loved it. He just took some fencing and boards and fashioned a big box around the out side of the window then he left the window open and the cats could come and go as they pleased. So they get to be in the fresh air and sunshine without being in any danger outside. We live in the country so I love this idea. Also we cut down on the pet food last night and this morning we saw no throw up, all thanks to a poster on here.

I have to tell you that I love your avatar. My favorite Elvis song is, Are you lonesome tonight? I have a brother who would torture me by playing it on a jukebox over and over when my husband was in the navy and out to sea for 6 months at a time. Jerk!

Frequent Contributor

The outside enclosure for the cats sounds really nice! We live in the country too. Yes I am a huge Elvis fan. Love all his songs, wish he was still here. I am so sorry for the passing of your brother, but I truly believe he knows everything you are doing for his cats and he is at peace. You are doing a wonderful job with the cats, best of luck with the dogs. You and your husband are very special people for doing this!!
Respected Contributor

@brmmom   It sounds like you're having lots of fun with your new family.  You probably never thought you and your DH would be great cat parents!  It appears this new brood of felines has kept you in close touch with your dear brother.  I just know he's watching and smiling from heaven.

Please drop in here when you can and keep the rest of us cat lovers in the loop!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

@brmmom   Bless your heart that you took them, and not allowing these dear felines to be "lost" in a shelter.

My parents befriended 7 cats (parents in their 80's)...ferals they fed in summertime, but in winter made a home for them indoors .... parent's furntiture is now ruined, and the house has the proverbial aroma, but these cats are their joy.  Again, you are a saint ...and one day, I will be inheriting some of these cats for sure~!   I was a cat-parent for 35 years myself.

Esteemed Contributor

@brmmom, I just read more of this thread. To answer your question about how often to clean the litter box, I just do it when it is dirty, or I detect any smells. 

I am so sorry about the loss of your brother. I think he and I would have been great friends. He sounds like a wonderful person. God Bless you for taking in his cats. 

Respected Contributor

You have done a wonderful thing and I applaud you, sorry to hear about your brother.

I do a lot of TNR trapping and I have 10 ferals myself that I trapped and brought them inside to socialize. Cats are very social and they love the company of other cats. Mine are wonderful and get along great. I had always had dogs before so this was so different but I wouldn't change a thing. 

I would be happy to answer any questions and it sounds like you have gotten some good advice so far.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@luvmyteddy4  Just today, DH mentioned how people who haven't had cats perceive them as "loners:; after all, dogs live in "packs".  They don't realize even big cats live in" prides".  Which is why I always advise to get two cats.  Even with multiple human interaction, cats seem to flourish with a feline companion (of the right kind.  I.E, I've had some issues with same sexed cats.)

Anyhow, I also applaud those of you that offer outddor protected accomodations.  We are fortunate we had an outdoor lania in FL, which we extended and screened in for the kitties.  I think the crows equally enjoyed safely tormenting the cats.  LOL

Denise