Contributor

Help!!! We recently inherited 7 cats, any advice is welcome!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Help!!! We recently inherited 7 cats, any advice is welcome!

Oh Goodness - can you explain how ?

Honored Contributor

Make sure they are all spayed or neutered!  

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Take them to the vet for a check up ask the vet for advice on adopting so many cats at one time.  

Honored Contributor

If you "inherited" 7 cats at one time, I assume it was from a family member and that the 7 cats were already used to living together.

In that case, there shouldn't be an issue getting along with each other, just adjusting to their new home and new owner(s).

Be patient as they learn the possibly 'new rules' of living in your home.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Contributor

Yes I can, they are my brothers'. He passed away suddenly and they are his babies.

He was well known for feeding all the strays around town every morning. He was such an

Animal lover that he put a cat door on his garage so any cat could come in for food. A pair of raccoons and even a skunk came every day too. He loved them all. 

He had just rescued a kitten this past spring, it was about 4 weeks old and some SOB

Kicked it in the face and slit her throat. Her eyeball was dangling from its socket.

He took her to the vet and now she is doing beautifully. 

As for the others, they are all spayed and neutered. 

I need advice because we dogs are all we ever had. 

Thanks to everyone who can help!

Honored Contributor

Good for you to take them in, @brmmom !   We have 4 cats, our highest number has been five.  Our town has many strays and feral cats, many of which can be re-tamed.

Taking them to the vet is a good start.  Make sure you have the supplies you need.  Indoor cats need litter boxes that are scooped daily.  It's recommended that you have at least one litter box for every two cats, but I know that's not always possible.  We have 3 boxes in the basement.

If you didn't have cats before, try to make sure your house is "cat-proof".  Keep things you don't want them to get into, out of their reach.  Hanging cords, or plastic bags can be hazardous to them.  Make sure you don't let them have access to anything chocolate, or to poinsettias, or anything else that is toxic to cats.  The vet will brief you on stuff like that-- just ask.

Inexpensive cat toys, like string toys, or squeak toys, or just ping pong balls and cardboard boxes, can keep them occupied and interested.

Our vet recommends about a quarter of a cup of cat food, twice a day, for each cat.  We give dry food in the morning, and mix of dry and canned in afternoon.  We are able to feed them in separate areas (which I know is not always possible) because some will horn in on the more timid cats' food, depriving them of their share.  So we feed one in the entry hall with door shut, two in the kitchen, one in a hallway.  A pain, but we know they're all getting fed properly.  Always plenty of fresh water available.

Googling "caring for multiple cats" I'm sure will be a big help.  Thank you for giving these needy kitties a caring home! 

Contributor

My biggest concern is how to blend cats and dogs. I would like to have us all together upstairs. The cats have been living in our basement (it's huge) 

Our dogs don't even know they're down there, we snuck them in while they were in the 

Back yard. We have a golden retriever and a bichon/poodle mix and we have no idea how to go about introducing each other.

Contributor

Thank you Oznell! I do have 4 litter boxes and 2 cat litter genies.(fabulous product)

I do see that we may have been overfeeding them though. I will take your advice to heart.

Respected Contributor

@brmmomYou are a very kind soul and amazing sister to honor your brother this way.  I hope you all get into a routine and that you are able to work things out or find a wonderful loving home for some of the cats.  You've taken on A LOT. 

Have you seen how your dogs react to cats, squirrels, rabbits, etc when you take them for a walk.  You know better than anyone, the personality and behavior traits of your dogs.  You may start off by letting them smell a blanket that the cats have been on.  And,  once the cats are somewhat settled in, you can do the same for them.   Your vet and some reputable online advise should prove helpful.

Wishing you all the best.  Please keep us posted.