Honored Contributor

Re: Help! My cat is going to kill me!

If your cat is not neutered, get that done immediately.

Don't brush your cat for so long.  He is trying to tell you he is done and has had enough.

Wear gardening gloves so that you won't get hurt.

Keep his nails cut short

If bitten or scratched...yell as loud as you can..loud enough to scare the cat.  Make him afraid to bite or scratch you because he will get the the loud scary screams....dominance thing.

Most cats will do the attack thing when you walk by them.  They like to chase prey.  When there is no prey around, you are a good substitute.

Get a light toy or mouse on a string and play with him until he tires out. Sounds like he could use some prey stimulation.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Would never put up with a cat (or any pet) biting me.  A cats bite can be very dangerious. 

@CrazyDaisy- So what would you do?  What suggestions do you have to help the OP?

I am not a cat person and the one I previously had was enough for a lifetime.  However from working at shelters I do know that a cat bite is much more hazardous than a dog bite and can easily develop into a sever infection.  People are all to fast to state that a aggressive, biting dog needs to be rehomed or even out down.  Not sure why cat owner needs to put up with that behavior.

@CrazyDaisy- I'm well aware that a cat bite can cause a severe infection (or even a cat scratch that draws blood).  However, the OP and others who have responded on this thread clearly are "cat people".

The OP asked for helpful suggestions.  She didn't say the cat was an out and out full-time aggressive, biting animal.  Also, most dogs are much bigger with more powerful jaws than a cat.

Your reply seemed to suggest that she simply get rid of the cat and that's not what she asked.  And this isn't about dogs versus cats.

I am a cat person and can't imagine my life without one.  You're not, so perhaps leave the responses to those who think they can help, as the OP asked.

Esteemed Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Would never put up with a cat (or any pet) biting me.  A cats bite can be very dangerious. 

@CrazyDaisy- So what would you do?  What suggestions do you have to help the OP?

I am not a cat person and the one I previously had was enough for a lifetime.  However from working at shelters I do know that a cat bite is much more hazardous than a dog bite and can easily develop into a sever infection.  People are all to fast to state that a aggressive, biting dog needs to be rehomed or even out down.  Not sure why cat owner needs to put up with that behavior.

@CrazyDaisy- I'm well aware that a cat bite can cause a severe infection (or even a cat scratch that draws blood).  However, the OP and others who have responded on this thread clearly are "cat people".

The OP asked for helpful suggestions.  She didn't say the cat was an out and out full-time aggressive, biting animal.  Also, most dogs are much bigger with more powerful jaws than a cat.

Your reply seemed to suggest that she simply get rid of the cat and that's not what she asked.  And this isn't about dogs versus cats.

I am a cat person and can't imagine my life without one.  You're not, so perhaps leave the responses to those who think they can help, as the OP asked.

You are the one who seems to be taking offense to my responses.  My first post simply said I would not allow any pet to bite.  You pushed that response for further expectation and I provided it.  You seem to think because I am not a "cat person" I should not be allowed to share my opinion (which you asked me to provide), not sure that is how a discussion board works.  Are those who do not have dogs not allowed to participate in discussions about them.  How about further separating big dogs and little  ones or maybe young and old. 

I simply said I would not allow any pet to bite me and be aggressive.  If it takes finding them a new home or having to put them down, so be it. Those options come up time and time again when discussing dogs.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

@this is my nicHe's a big handsome guy.  Overstimulation with the brushing.  Sometimes youve really got to watch for the cues.  It may be no more than a gleem in the eye or him going Very still a moment before the blow up. Quit the grooming sessions BEFORE he looses his cool.  Even if you don't know when he's going to blow up you know when he hasn't yet so quit while you're ahead.  Vary the length of grooming and then go on to play time to redirect his energy.  same thing for the feet chasing.  if you know he's there waiting to pounce roll a ball before you to break his focus.  Designated fun time will make him happy.  Work with him  to expend that energy on something other than you.  You're the only one's he can romp with.  If you don't start the game He will. 

This is excellent advice.  I catch my Lily changing her behavior when she's becoming overstimulated and I stop the petting/brushing or whatever might be causing it and she settles back down.

Respected Contributor

A friend had a cat that did this due to being overstimulated. You need to shorten the brushing time significantly. He had to do his cat in mini sessions to stop before the overstimulation happened. It was strange that the cat was more play attacking instead of fright or fight attacking.

It did seem to happen faster when there was more static electricity in the air.

Once he figured all this out the attacks were stopped,

doxie

Honored Contributor

The only time my inside only cat got like that was if a stray happened to come across the front lawn or decide to hang out in the back yard.

She would go ballistic - to the point where I would be afraid of her.

She died last March and as much as I would like another one, that behavior is the one and only reason why I will never get another one.

Valued Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

You are the one who seems to be taking offense to my responses.  My first post simply said I would not allow any pet to bite.  You pushed that response for further expectation and I provided it.  You seem to think because I am not a "cat person" I should not be allowed to share my opinion (which you asked me to provide), not sure that is how a discussion board works.  Are those who do not have dogs not allowed to participate in discussions about them.  How about further separating big dogs and little  ones or maybe young and old. 

I simply said I would not allow any pet to bite me and be aggressive.  If it takes finding them a new home or having to put them down, so be it. Those options come up time and time again when discussing dogs.

Hope you DON'T HAVE or EVER WILL have cats. You're OBVIOUSLY NOT a cat person and OBVIOUSLY don't have a CLUE or understand their behavior.

Honored Contributor

If you  start brushing him and he starts to bite you, he does not want to be brushed.  As far as attacking your legs, I don't have a clue.  Call the vet and ask the vet about this.  

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@manhattan1950 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Hope you DON'T HAVE or EVER WILL have cats. You're OBVIOUSLY NOT a cat person and OBVIOUSLY don't have a CLUE or understand their behavior.

As I already stated in my posts I wll never own a cat again so you can sleep at night. However since you seem to have the need to take this discussion off track again,  If people are going to make those comments about aggressive dogs the same hold for cats.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy- I trust your above comment was not aimed at me, since what you were replying to was not posted by me.  My post was simply quoted in someone else's reply to you.

However, I will say I don't know why you even brought the subject of aggressive dogs into a discussion about a cat  No one else said anything critical of dogs, that I'm aware of.  Woman Frustrated

Enough said, I think.  I hope you sleep well, too.