Esteemed Contributor

Re: Help! My cat is going to kill me!

Would never put up with a cat (or any pet) biting me.  A cats bite can be very dangerious. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Super Contributor

My orange kitty thinks he's playing when he reaches out and attacks my leg as I'm walking by, usually bare skin.  I told him no it hurts.  So now he continues doing it but without his claws out.  lol

Respected Contributor

@this is my nic  I've had a lot of cats over the years, and each one has been different, having different personalities and quirks.  I never had a problem with biting or serious attacking until my last two cats.

I had Zoe for 15 years, and her mom was a stray.  She was so mean with the biting when she was younger, but as she aged, she turned into the sweetest girl, and I couldn't keep her off my lap!

My current fella, Al, had a stray tabby mom.  He's way bigger than she was and has long fur, which she didn't.  So at 15 lbs of pure muscle, I'm guessing he has Main Coon in his background (his two siblings were a short-haired orange tabby and an all-black!).  Since he was barely 6-weeks when he moved in, he became quickly attached to me.  Even so, there was a mean streak, and I can't tell you how much blood has been shed.  I think there's something genetic with certain cats in this regard.

One thing I learned was, when petting him (which he enjoys), I never let him see my hand.  I always make sure I approach from the back, and this has made a huge difference.  I'm betting if he had another cat in the house to wrestle with, he wouldn't need to take out his aggressions on me at all.  He'll be 4 on May 1, and has settled down a lot, which is good because I have thin skin and a problem with bleeding!  When he does anything bad, I yell his name AL!  Sometimes, like a kid, I think he acts out just to get my attention. 

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Would never put up with a cat (or any pet) biting me.  A cats bite can be very dangerious. 

@CrazyDaisy- So what would you do?  What suggestions do you have to help the OP?

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic- I'm going to assume you keep his claws clipped to minimize any damage from them?

Have you tried the Comfort Zone plug-ins?  I used them several years ago, when we had introduced a new cat to the mix and all he!! broke loose.  They did help to calm things down.  I put one in each room of the downstairs.  They also have sprays and towelettes, but I found the plug-ins to be the most useful.

I agree with others who've said this may be two different things:  a) he's telling you he's had enough brushing and b) when he jumps out at you, he's just displaying normal cat play and hunting instincts.

Come back and tell us, if you find a solution.  (Have you talked to the rescue center or your vet?)

Honored Contributor

My cat does the same thing, actually he looks like your cat. My cat has no one to play with so he does the smack and run with us.LOL Moe can get rough at times so we we tell him NO,in a loud voice and he understands we are not playing and stops. My cat doesn't like to get brushed either and has clawed and actually hit me hard enough to cause bruises numerous times. I finally wised up and my husband holds Moes front legs with his leather gloves on, while I brush him. Of course the cat doesn't like it, but he tolerates it. Good luck.

Regular Contributor

Have on hand .... a spray bottle filled with water.   

Every time he bites, spray him... will stop negative behavior quickly.   (Just don't slip on the water if you do not have carpeting!)

Esteemed Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@CrazyDaisy- So what would you do?  What suggestions do you have to help the OP?

I am not a cat person and the one I previously had was enough for a lifetime.  However from working at shelters I do know that a cat bite is much more hazardous than a dog bite and can easily develop into a sever infection.  People are all to fast to state that a aggressive, biting dog needs to be rehomed or even out down.  Not sure why cat owner needs to put up with that behavior.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

We have an adopted kitty with a thick coat like Maine Coon.  She loves to get brushed but when she's had enough she makes this crabby sounding meow and leaves, I think she just gets one brush to many for her liking.   Her name is Honey Bee and we love her but at times she can be a brat.  We have two other adopted cats and they know not to mess with the Honey Bee !!!!!

Respected Contributor

@this is my nicHe's a big handsome guy.  Overstimulation with the brushing.  Sometimes youve really got to watch for the cues.  It may be no more than a gleem in the eye or him going Very still a moment before the blow up. Quit the grooming sessions BEFORE he looses his cool.  Even if you don't know when he's going to blow up you know when he hasn't yet so quit while you're ahead.  Vary the length of grooming and then go on to play time to redirect his energy.  same thing for the feet chasing.  if you know he's there waiting to pounce roll a ball before you to break his focus.  Designated fun time will make him happy.  Work with him  to expend that energy on something other than you.  You're the only one's he can romp with.  If you don't start the game He will.