Respected Contributor

Help! My cat is going to kill me!

We adopted a stray cat a number of years ago, can't recall exactly when.  Walter is huge;  we think he is either a Maine Coon or has a lot of that breed in him.  

Most of the time he's really laid back, however, sometimes he attacks me out of nowhere.  Usually, it occurs when I'm brushing him;  he gets brushed daily and enjoys it.  He jumps up on the bench where I brush him, so I'm not making him do this.  I'll be in the process of brushing and without warning he has his claws and teeth in my hand and wrist.  He's very strong and has a huge mouth and sharp teeth!  He draws blood.  I stop immediately and walk away.  

Also, sometimes when I'm walking past him he attacks, clawing and biting my legs. 

I appreciate any advice! Thanks!

BTW, I know he's over weight!IMG_1130.JPG

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Help! My cat is going to kill me!

Wow--Have you taught him the word NO? My shelter cat doesn't do that but she wanted out and when I didn't close the door fast enough out she ran. It took awhile and she understands now. My other cat has gained alot of weight too. Likes nibbling.

Respected Contributor

When you're walking past and he attacks I think he's just playing.  I remember as a kid one of our cats doing this to my Mom.

With the brushing it sounds like when he's had enough he's just letting you know.  Maybe don't brush him as long.  My cat loves to be flea combed even tho she doesn't have fleas.  They seem to get overstimulated sometimes then they'll attack.  Even when being petted for too long.  

He's beautiful!

Trusted Contributor

@this is my nic      Walter is beautiful and looks very happy napping on the bed. As for why he sometimes bites like that, I'm sorry I have no real answer.  My cat Lily does the exact same thing. She does not like to be brushed. She is a short haired cat that does not need it as much. But she does like to attack me every now and then when I walk by. And when I pet her and she has had enough, (usually after about 3 minutes) she lets me know thats enough by grabbing my wrist and digging her claws in me and biting me.  Otherwise, she is a good and a sweet cat. We love our pets anyway.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@this is my nic wrote:

We adopted a stray cat a number of years ago, can't recall exactly when.  Walter is huge;  we think he is either a Maine Coon or has a lot of that breed in him.  

Most of the time he's really laid back, however, sometimes he attacks me out of nowhere.  Usually, it occurs when I'm brushing him;  he gets brushed daily and enjoys it.  He jumps up on the bench where I brush him, so I'm not making him do this.  I'll be in the process of brushing and without warning he has his claws and teeth in my hand and wrist.  He's very strong and has a huge mouth and sharp teeth!  He draws blood.  I stop immediately and walk away.  

Also, sometimes when I'm walking past him he attacks, clawing and biting my legs. 

I appreciate any advice! Thanks!

BTW, I know he's over weight!IMG_1130.JPG

If this is new behavior, have his thyroid checked. Hyperthyroidism symptoms include new aggressive behavior, manic episodes, more vocal. 

If this isn't new behavior, he's overstimulated by the brushing,  and hunting and stalking and playing when you walk past. 

Valued Contributor

I had read about this some time ago.Petting or brushing them stimulates some cats to become aggressive.I forgot the name? Anways,it suggested knowing your cat's limits. I have had cats that didn't like being petted below the neck or their stomach. I had one cat that would knock the brush out of my hand. WE had to always remember their individual preferences.I have a black beauty now who sits in my lap and lets me pet her stomach at will. I would have come up with a bloody stump with my other cats!

Respected Contributor

By the way - my cat attacks me when I stop combing her lol.

Respected Contributor

@halfpint1

Indeed, I do shout NO!  I don't allow cats on my table tops or counter tops.  Walter understands NO!  However, during an attack he doesn't seem to be aware of much other than when I'm screaming in pain. 

Respected Contributor

@FranandZoe

Yes, that may be the problem.  Normally, a cat gives signals such as swishing the tail, flattening ears, and/or hissing.  Walter does none of those;  it's just a full on attack.   I plan to cut the brushing/petting time drastically.  

BTW, Walter is just one of many kitties and dogs we have rescued over the years.  I have never experienced this problem with the others.  He is the only one we have now and won't bring another into the house until Walter stops attacking. 

Respected Contributor

@ILTH

Thank you!  I will have that done!