Respected Contributor

Long story short. I have always left out crunchies for my cats to eat during the day. Well I inherited a cat who weighed 11lbs She now weighs 18lbs! She demands food and I have cut back to 1/2 cup a day. She cries and meows her head off until she gets more food. She did manage to lose one pound but she is not happy and lets me know it

I have had cats my whole life and this is the first time this has  happened to me. What do I do? Oh by the way she eats Meow Mix hairball treatment cat food. No can food.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

>^..^<.......Hi, I'm Kitty........and I stand in front of the refrigerator all day.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

First of all I would buy her a better dry cat food like Nutro Max chicken flavor for adults sold in pet stores (she will be more satisfied with this food).  More protein and better ingredients but only give her what she should eat according to her weight.  My cat will not eat treats, lucky me but she does like a little banana and she only eats her dry food.  She weighs a little over 7 lbs. but that is average for her breed.  I don't believe in diet foods for pets.  You need a really good dry food like I mentioned and if the crying is so bad, instead of treats give her a few pieces of the dry cat food.  If that doesn't work, speak to your vet.

Cat HappyCat Happy

kindness is strength
Contributor

Re: Help I have a fat cat!

[ Edited ]

Hi, I know you want what's best for her, but please don't put her on a diet without talking to your vet. I have a "big girl" too, and my vet warned me if she ever doesn't eat, even for a day, to let him know immediately because larger cats are prone to a life-threatening illness (I believe it's related to the liver, but possibly the kidneys) if they don't get enough to eat.

Half a cup of dry food is not enough for a cat the size of your baby. Also, when I asked another vet in the practice what brand of cat food to feed my cat, she didn't want to mention specifics, but she did say not to give her the brand you mentioned.

I'm sure you're frustrated but, again, please talk to your vet before putting her on a diet. Good luck to you and her! :-)

Trusted Contributor

I'm thinking a 1/2 cup of food doesn't seem enough for your girl. There are some good choices in PetSmart and other stores of dry foods made for weight control or for older more sedentary cats. You may need to experiment a bit to find one she really likes. Natural Balance is decent I think, but there are many good choices. My cat is overweight also and I've found a couple that she eats well. My cat got really heavy when my older boy cat was still alive as she would her food and whatever he left, and I had to keep dry out for him all the time. Now she has lost a little bit. Definitely check with your vet for advice though. I know the vet techs in my vet's office are very good and they will answer questions if I call, so you could try that to start. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

There are dry foods for indoor cats .... lower calorie for  those that have less activity.    

Although mine eats about 50% wet food (thankfully),  he needs his crunchy kibble so I give him Iams Indoor Weight and Hairball Control .... it's a white and turquoise bag, and he seems to do well with it. 

Honored Contributor

P.S.  Remember that on the bag of cat food it will tell you how much you should feed your cat per day.  When I had my Siamese cat years ago she had gained weight and I just cut back a little on her food and she dropped a pound or two.  Then I just gave her dry food according to the directions on the bag.  Treats really the worse thing for your cat but you can slowly change habits.  Good luck.  Oh, here are some good cat foods: Nutro Max, Hills Science Diet, Iams (Iams is now sold in some grocery stores).  I think BLue Buffalo is overrated and too expensive.

Cat HappyCat Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I have a couple of chunky kitties (ok 5 out of 6) and my vet suggested taking up the food at night to eliminate midnight munchies. They don't like it at first and are still getting used to it. They practically jump me in the morning they get so excited for food. Also check out diet food. We use a variety and Royal Canin number 40 is pretty good. 

Honored Contributor

Try giving her skim milk rather than whole milk.

Frequent Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Try giving her skim milk rather than whole milk.

Do not give cat's milk!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some people..........