Respected Contributor

Help! Dog with Sensitve Paws

[ Edited ]

I just bought a beautiful, warm sweater for my new dog, but he has sensitve paws and everytime I try to put his feet thru the sweater arms, HE BITES ME!

Anyone ever have this problem?  I've tried feeding him treats, but it doesn't work.  He guzzles down the treat, growls, then bites me.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Help! Dog with Sensitve Paws

Think the bigger problem is your dog biting you. The only time I would ever give a dog a pass on biting is if they were in expreme pain.  Would address the biting before worring about the sweater.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

Have your vet check his paws. He may be in pain because of a cut or hot spot or something "stuck" like a burr or sticker. Dogs will bite when they are in pain. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

For you it's a beautiful sweater. For your dog it's a threat. Clearly he has no intention of wearing it, no matter how beautiful it is. I don't know the age or background of your dog, but something in the past has frightened him and the idea of putting his leg into a sweater is not acceptable - so he bites.

We have a Sheltie, and don't need warmth in our area. But we did try to put a raincoat on him to keep his heavy fur dry.  He panicked.  (But no bites). We later learned that he had suffered a broken front leg before we adopted him. They can't tell us what's wrong, but they have ways of showing us when there is something they can't deal with.

Clearly your dog can't tolerate any restriction or manipulation of his legs or feet. If you continue to try to force this, his growling and biting could easily become a serious habit. "I growl and bite - you stop what you're doing".

I suggest you return the sweater, and if you need something for warmth, find a wrap that fits over the head, goes over the back and ties or snaps under the tummy. Leave his front legs alone.  He's already told you that in no uncertain terms.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Perkup wrote:

For you it's a beautiful sweater. For your dog it's a threat. Clearly he has no intention of wearing it, no matter how beautiful it is. I don't know the age or background of your dog, but something in the past has frightened him and the idea of putting his leg into a sweater is not acceptable - so he bites.

Leave his front legs alone.  He's already told you that in no uncertain terms.

==========================

Perkup,

I think your assessment is correct.  I've had this dog almost 3 months.  When I first got him, I had his nails done at a grooming salon.  I watched as four groomers tried to control him.   The supervisor of the place told me, "you'll never be able to trim this dog's nails.  You need to take him to a vet."   A few weeks later, I took him to the vet and she couldn't trim his nails either.  She told me he would have to be sedated whenever I wanted his nails trimmed. 

So, yep ... "something" happened (in his past)...

I'm gonna leave his front legs alone and return the sweater.

Unfortunately, he's a small dog and at some point, he's gonna get cold.

This is the 3rd piece of outerwear I've gotten for him.  One other was a fleece coat that velcroed shut, but it was too small.

Thanks.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Well, I got it over his head.  It covers 1/2 is back. He'll just have to wear it like a turtleneck.  LOL!

Respected Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

This is the 3rd piece of outerwear I've gotten for him.  One other was a fleece coat that velcroed shut, but it was too small.

Thanks.

Does anyone here sew?  If so, do you know if there's such a thing as a velcro kit that will make the velcro longer?

Respected Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@RinaRina wrote:

Thanks.

Does anyone here sew?  If so, do you know if there's such a thing as a velcro kit that will make the velcro longer?

====

Oh nooo!  I googled "velcro extensions", clicked images and got HAIR extensions.  LOL!

Esteemed Contributor

RinaRina - Sorry to hear about your dilemma, but it sounds as if you have figured it out.  As far as nail trimming, I have never had to trim my dogs nails because they are worn down by walking them.  Does your pooch get much exercise?  It seems a shame to have to sedate a dog for nail clipping.  Perhaps the vet could recommend an over the counter relaxer like dramamine??  As far as the coat issue, dogs don't need coats.  I have to think this is something that man/woman has thought up.  Their fur should be sufficient warmth for them.  If they seem cold, for instance their foot pads, have their thyroid levels checked or perhaps they are anemic.  I have had dogs with both those issues.

It sounds like you are doing a great job with your new friend.  I am happy for you. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor

If you would like to get a coat for your dog, there are coats that velcro under the belly and are VERY easy to get on and off.  Nothing goes over the paws.  My dog has very short hair, and I only use a coat when it gets really, really cold.  In normal winter weather, she's fine and doesn't really like the coat, but when it gets in the 20s, she gladly will put that coat on, especially if she's going in the car.