Respected Contributor

Help! Attn: Cat Experts

[ Edited ]

My cat always has 2 bowls of food.  One with dry food and 3X/day I refill a bowl with a small portion of wet food.

She still eats the dry food, but lately, she only eats the juice/sauce in the wet food and leaves the meat (fish, turkey or chicken). 

I started buying the 'broth" cat food and she does the same thing;   drinks the broth and leaves the morsels.  

When I get up in the morning, all the dry food is gone (which she usually eats at nite), but the morsels from the wet food are still in the bowl.

What is she doing?

Edit:

I'm thinking of getting a mini-grinder for the wet food ... would that work?

I dunno ...

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Super Contributor

It may be the moist catfood that she doesn't like. Cats are notoriosly picky eaters. I'd start there with several different cans and see which she likes. Good luck

Respected Contributor

I don't own a cat, but my dog used to do the same thing.  I quit buying the moist food and he ate the dry.  (He didn't seem to miss the moist food).  

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina   Perhaps you are feeding your cat too much food.  My cat gets I think it's 2/3 cup of dry food for the day with fresh water and she is normal weight for her breed which is Tonkinese and she weighs 7 lbs.  Try giving your cat the dry food according to the cat's weight and instructions on the bag.  Cut the wet food to once or eliminate.  Fresh water is very important.  Our pets live longer when they are their normal weight.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

We always just fed our cats dry food.  A canned food was a treat for them once in awhile.

My cousin is a veterinarian and she has always said dry food is better for the health of their teeth and gums so maybe just give her dry food?

Honored Contributor

DD has 8 indoor cats and most of them don't care for wet food, it messes up their stomachs and causes them too loose stools.

They prefer their dry food.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

As @Auntie CC said, cats are picky eaters.  At least mine are.  They will eat the same food for a long time--years, even--and then one day decide what they've loved is now totally undesirable.

However, I will say that I had a cat that had a dental condition and that's what he would do when his teeth were bothering him.  He would drink all the broth from the wet food and would (amazingly) eat his dry food but wouldn't touch the wet morsels.

If it were me, I'd keep an eye on the cat.  As long as he's still eating and drinking something, that's good.  But if he gets even worse about eating or shows other signs of change, I'd get him to the vet.  And on his next scheduled vet visit, I'd talk to my vet about it anyway.  Cats are very good at hiding their discomfort.

Esteemed Contributor

I have one kitty who has several teeth missing and she eats both wet and dry because the wet is for her kidneys but when she is feeling ill she will only eat the broth. I'm thinking your kitty is fine but you might want to have her teeth checked, she just doesn't want the wet food. Try skipping it for a few days and give her a fraction of wet food. You can also try Hartz Delectables Bisque. It's a treat but my cats love it.

Valued Contributor
When I feed my cat Fancy Feast broth, I empty the pouch into a bowl and break up the tuna into very small pieces with a fork. I then serve half and save the other half for later in the day (microwave for about 5 seconds on 60% power). BTW, I have found that my kitty struggles with the chicken version because the pieces are too long and difficult to cut up. Also, many cats use their tongue to scoop up food, rather than their mouth/teeth so some textures result in hard work and they just give up.

I would have her teeth checked. She may have some pain. She may be swallowing her kibble whole rather than chewing it.
Regular Contributor

Dear RinaRina, 

I have given up on any canned wet food that says "shreds" "morsels" "filet" etc. My cat will do the same thing lick the gravy, juices and leave the morsels behind. Strictly stick with canned wet foods that are of the "pate" variety only. But yet is a chewer too because likes its dry food also.