Respected Contributor

I've never had pets treated for heartworm, but one of my cats had the radioactive iodine treatment and had to be isolated for three weeks, and two others had cancer and needed weekly blood tests and frequent chemotherapy treatments.

We do what we have to for our fur babies.

Honored Contributor

@ pansyboo,What a wonderful story ,of your little girl,i assume you kept her after your dad died.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sapphiregal. There are a lot of people here who really love dogs and make sure the get the preventative.  You post reflects an attitude of, " Here's what the vet wants to do but it's really too much trouble".

Yes, it will be a lot of inconvenience for you for what, 30 days?  It will also be expensive.  Yes, you will have to crate the dog, keep him mostly in the house and give him lots of attention to keep him quietly subdued.

Knowing where you are, what kind of responses do you expect to get from your fellow posters?  I can tell you I'd do it and not give it a second thought because I love my dogs and because I'd know it was my fault my dog got the heart worms and I'd feel guilty as heck.

@Kachina624 

Everyone's circumstances are different. I am 73 years old and over the course of my life, I have had and dearly loved many dogs. I knew even under the best of circumstances that getting this big, active breed dog would be difficult for me.  Have you ever picked a dog up from a county shelter just hours before they are going to put that dog down? It is hard - you can hear all the dogs barking and wish you could rescue them all. You can see the gratitude in that dog's eyes when you do save them.

In Texas, with no laws governing spaying and neutering, these shelters are overflowing.

Even walking him on a leash is challenging because he pulls. Finding out that that I will have to do that for, not just 30 days as you say - it is actually more like 60 days - is frightening. The pulling and wanting to run is an exertion that could kill him. After the first injection, it is 30 days of rest, then 2 more injections and 30 more days of rest.

I am going to treat him.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Esteemed Contributor

@Sapphiregal,  in regard to your dog not being so good on a leash I can't recommend a slip collar/slip lead/slip harness highly enough.

The slip harness sounds a little complicated to put on but it is not.  After a couple of times it will be natural.  It can also be used as a traditional slip collar/lead.

For reference this is the harness style:  amazon.com/gp/product/B00SLPYX4A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

This is the simple collar style:  amazon.com/gp/product/B09F29X9B6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I have used both.  The important thing to remember for good control is placement.  You want it as high on the neck as it will go.

If you watch dog shows the leads the handlers use are similar to the above.  Properly positioned it will not choke or compress the throat.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Valued Contributor

Re: Heartworm Treatment

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

@ pansyboo,What a wonderful story ,of your little girl,i assume you kept her after your dad died.

@goldensrbest, yes, after my dad died I let my aunt move into my dad's house and she took care of Charlotte. My aunt also took care of our dogs when we would go on vacation or need to be away. Prior to that my precious dad had been my doggie babysitter for 22 years! He loved it. Charlotte did well but I do think she missed my dad somewhat. She lived almost another year after he died.

I've just got to tell one more Charlotte story. She wasn't doing well so I took her to the vet. My vet was actually in the larger city I mentioned in my previous post...again it was about an hour drive from where we lived. They checked her out but nothing was obviously wrong. Strange. Another couple weeks went by and she just seem to get worse. And then one day I was over checking on her and I knew it was time. I put her in a crate and placed it behind my driver's seat. Then I climbed in and off we went for that terrible thing we go through with our pets. Now Charlotte was a great dog but there was one thing she hated....riding in a vehicle. When I started driving she started doing her typical really loud nervous panting. There was a song I always sang to her so I started singing in addition to crying like a baby. And about ten minutes into the drive we got to that same spot on the highway where we had picked her up. I started telling her that's where we found her and how lucky we were to have had her, etc. And about that time I noticed she stopped panting. I didn't think much of it. But I was relieved she had settled down and was glad she wasn't so nervous. 

When I go to the vets I went to get Charlotte out of her cage and she had already passed away. I ABSOLUTELY COULD NOT BELIEVE IT! I was sad, but also somewhat glad we didn't have to go through that dreadful process. I stood in the parking lot for awhile just stunned. I thanked her for being such a good girl right up to the end. I truly believed Charlotte passed away when she stopped panting.....right when we went by that same spot in the road where we picked her up. 😇    

Valued Contributor

@Sapphiregal, I wanted to say I truly do sympathize. I know it will be difficult with a large dog who wants to run. Also, I wanted to say I've rambled on here with my Charlotte stories and hope I didn't get too far off topic.

I think you should really talk with your vet and get the "absolute specifics" on what your dog can or cannot do. It's been a long time since we went through this treatment. Did he give a stage of the dog's heartworm disease? Seems I remember something about that...course if it's too far advanced they won't even recommend treatment to begin with. I know I was quite scared and hardly even wanted our dog to walk in a brisk manner during the treatment. I can tend to go overboard, though. Ha!

Anyway, I will pray that all goes well for both you and....what is your dog's name? And please be sure to take care of yourself along the way. It feels daunting now but it will be over in time. And you are doing the right thing and I very much commend you for it!!!  

Trusted Contributor

@PansyBoo wrote:

@Sapphiregal, I wanted to say I truly do sympathize. I know it will be difficult with a large dog who wants to run. Also, I wanted to say I've rambled on here with my Charlotte stories and hope I didn't get too far off topic.

I think you should really talk with your vet and get the "absolute specifics" on what your dog can or cannot do. It's been a long time since we went through this treatment. Did he give a stage of the dog's heartworm disease? Seems I remember something about that...course if it's too far advanced they won't even recommend treatment to begin with. I know I was quite scared and hardly even wanted our dog to walk in a brisk manner during the treatment. I can tend to go overboard, though. Ha!

Anyway, I will pray that all goes well for both you and....what is your dog's name? And please be sure to take care of yourself along the way. It feels daunting now but it will be over in time. And you are doing the right thing and I very much commend you for it!!!  

@PansyBoo 

Thank you PansyBoo. His name is Moose.💗💗

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Honored Contributor

@Sapphiregal 

Yes, same story with us.  My teacher daughter adopted a dog from the local shelter 2 hrs before he was to be euthanized due to being labeled unsocial an aggressive.  This dog was a stray, never had an owner so he was not social, but aggressive?  No, he was scared to death!  It took us months before he connected with us.  

The original vet check said the dog did not have heart worm, so my daughter put him on preventive meds.  At his next checkup, we learned the dog had 8 adult heart worms, and the vet warned us treatment would be risky.  The only way the vet was comfortable to treat our dog was to keep him at the clinic for observation.  13-14 years ago, his treatment was about $1400, which was covered by the vet and the drug company of the heart worm medication.   

Our dog survived the treatment, but is in a decline now related to his age.  One of the best dogs we've ever had, but he will be the last.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop ,your story of your daughter's rescue is heartbreaking, but what a loving result thanks to your daughter and you.

This is awful that this is happening. Aren't they supposed to check them out medically before adopting?! This is just not right. But maybe it involves more tests or something they just don't do?

This is awful that this happens to so many.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Sapphiregal.  Good for you!  And thank you for caring about this rambunctious soul.  Hopefully after a few days, he'll adjust to less activity.  Good luck.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment