Trusted Contributor

Re: Heartbroken, my dog has lymphoma

Just checking in on Quincy. You both were on my mind tonight. Prayers continue for you and Quin!
Esteemed Contributor

@newtoallthis wrote:
Just checking in on Quincy. You both were on my mind tonight. Prayers continue for you and Quin!

Thanks so much newtoallthis.  Hope all is better with you and yours and continued prayers.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the Quinn fix...I mean update. Smiley Happy   I can just imagine him having fun at pool time, and I'm glad he's feeling better as the week goes on. He's in our family's prayers for many more days poolside splashing around by his Momma!

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry your baby is sick..sending hugs to you!!! xoxox

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Regular Contributor

My dog Spike is also on this journey with lymphoma. The vet is not a cancer doctor but Spike seems to be doing ok.  I wish the best for Quincy.

Valued Contributor

Sending lots of prayers for Quincy...

Esteemed Contributor

@KATIE ANN wrote:

My dog Spike is also on this journey with lymphoma. The vet is not a cancer doctor but Spike seems to be doing ok.  I wish the best for Quincy.

@KATIE ANN So sorry to hear that you are going through this with Spike also.  May I ask if you are doing the CHOP protocol?  Has Spike finished one full round of the 4 drugs?  Quincy is in between round 1 and will begin round 2  on Thursday if his counts rebound enough.  This last drug, Doxorubicin, hit him the hardest.  He is still doing all his usual daily activities, but at slower pace.  He seemed to turn the corner a bit this weekend.  Also, how old is your dog?  I understand if you don't wish to share information.  It would just be nice to have someone to bounce some things off of that is going through this right now.  All the best to you and Spike. 

Esteemed Contributor

@KATIE ANN  One other thing, we live part time up north and winters in the south.  We have never established a vet down here - a big mistake.  Anyway, we noticed his enlarged lymphs on a Sunday morning before church.  When we got home, they were even bigger so we took him to an emergency clinic where he was diagnosed.  It all happened so fast.  He began chemo 3 days after diagnosis.  We had a dog that had lymphoma over 20 years ago and the protocol was the same.  Not a lot has changed.  I am sure that your vet is doing a good job.  I really don't know why anyone would need an oncology vet for this just that maybe they see this more often.  We were in a bind at the time and needed medical attention right away.  I am not taking away from the care we are receiving, just saying that had we had a vet that we knew and saw regularly,  that is where we would have gone.   

Again, all the best.

Regular Contributor

Thank you for asking. I first took Spike in because he was not wanting to eat. He is 10 years old. They said that all of his lymp nodes were swollen and scheduled him for a biopsy. I took him in and they did a x-ray of his lungs because he was breathing hard and a ultra sound to see if there were tumors. They were sending it off for a biopsy but the vet called and wanted to go ahead and start  the chemo because he was sure that it was lymphoma. We started the chemo that day.

He is  taking Vincristine inj. weekly.

Cyclophoph 25 mg. capsule for 4 days starting on the day of the chemo.

He is taking 1/2 of a 20 mg. predisone dairy.

He is taking 1/4 omeprizole daily.

Each week they do a blood count. The first week his white blood count was so low that they did not do the chemo. I took him in several times and when the count went up they did the chemo. The vet said that this is normal with the first chemo treatment. He has had 3 chemo treatiments and goes in this week for another one.

They also have me take his temperature to see if he has a fever. After the first chemo he also took Clavamax for 2 days . He is now eating pretty normal. He has always been a very laid back dog and really doesn't  run and play a lot.

I would appreciate any advise that you can give me. Like I said my vet is not a cancer doctor but he is really trying to help Spike. His biposy came back that he his cancer was moderate growth. He is supposed to take treatments for 8 weeks and then every other week after that. Thank you so much for caring.

Esteemed Contributor

@KATIE ANN wrote:

Thank you for asking. I first took Spike in because he was not wanting to eat. He is 10 years old. They said that all of his lymp nodes were swollen and scheduled him for a biopsy. I took him in and they did a x-ray of his lungs because he was breathing hard and a ultra sound to see if there were tumors. They were sending it off for a biopsy but the vet called and wanted to go ahead and start  the chemo because he was sure that it was lymphoma. We started the chemo that day.

He is  taking Vincristine inj. weekly.

Cyclophoph 25 mg. capsule for 4 days starting on the day of the chemo.

He is taking 1/2 of a 20 mg. predisone dairy.

He is taking 1/4 omeprizole daily.

Each week they do a blood count. The first week his white blood count was so low that they did not do the chemo. I took him in several times and when the count went up they did the chemo. The vet said that this is normal with the first chemo treatment. He has had 3 chemo treatiments and goes in this week for another one.

They also have me take his temperature to see if he has a fever. After the first chemo he also took Clavamax for 2 days . He is now eating pretty normal. He has always been a very laid back dog and really doesn't  run and play a lot.

I would appreciate any advise that you can give me. Like I said my vet is not a cancer doctor but he is really trying to help Spike. His biposy came back that he his cancer was moderate growth. He is supposed to take treatments for 8 weeks and then every other week after that. Thank you so much for caring.

@KATIE ANN Quincy's protocol is a bit different than Spike's.  The first chemo, he did a drug called Elspar (abbreviated name) and began on daily prednisone of 60 mgs. every 12 hours.  Two days later, he was in clinical remission.....no enlarged lymph nodes.  He also began 2 pepcid AC's once a day.  The second week he had any injection of vincristine, reduced his pred. to 50mg. every 12 hours.  The third week he did an injection of cyclophosphamide and his pred was tapered to 40 mg. every 12 hours.  Week four was vincristine injection and 30 mg. every 12 hours and began ciprofloxacin every 12 hours as a preventive.  Week 5 was an IV push of Doxorubicin and 20 mgs. of pred.  Week 6 was just labs and all his counts were low.  This was his nadir.  They also gave him and injection for nausea and 4 tablets to be given one daily......can't remember the name right now (it began with a C)  at the time of the Doxorubicin.  This past weekend he probaby felt the worse so far.  He wasn't that interested in eating, but did with coaxing.  He was just a bit slowed down.  This Thursday he is scheduled to begin all over again starting with the vincristine.  This will depend on his counts.  His hair is also falling out at an alarming rate.  He is an Old English and has/had a LOT of hair.  That is what we have been through so far.  I am by far no expert on this, but if you have any questions maybe we can help each other.  Pupwhipped knows quite a bit about this having had a dog that went through this.  Her guy lived 4 years after he finished treatment.  I am praying for the same result!

Stay in touch!