Honored Contributor

I've always loved animals, especially dogs.  But moving around a lot for my job kept me from getting my first dog until age 50!  The timing just happened by surprise.  A friend of a friend wanted to adopt a dog she found abandoned.  She soon found out the dog was pregnant.  After six beautiful puppies were born, five were quickly adopted.  The sixth was the runt of the litter and had heart issues.  My best friend, who already had 4 dogs, told me about her. 

That was it!  I fell in love with her over the phone, and brought her home when she was stronger and healthier at 9 weeks old. She is seven years old this past summer. 

She is just like me!  No drama; loves mornings and falls asleep earlier at night; loves cold weather (doesn't like summer heat at all); loves cuddling; can be goofy; and perfectly content being the only dog.  I swear, sometimes I think if she could hold a glass of wine, she would. 

I told her vet that when we go to the dog park, she greets other dogs, but other than that she plays alone or only with me.  The vet said it's because she thinks she's just like me, she doesn't know she's a dog.  He was very serious. 

I've had a lot of tremendous blessings in my life.  But I pretty much define it as "before Allie" and "with Allie." 

Trusted Contributor

My Callie is my sunshine. (just like the song) She’s so funny, full of energy, loving, and attentive. I thank God for bringing her into my life. 

Super Contributor

I'm definitely a cat lover!  I always say after losing one I'll never get another one!  Famous last words!

Esteemed Contributor

I love my dog/s. We usually always have German Shepherds. There's nothing that replaces that greeting when you come home for wherever. Yes, they are work and a responsiblity but the joy and love that they give in return far out weighs that for me. I can't immagine my life without my dog or dogs. 

Super Contributor

I agree! 

As my name suggests I am a cat lady and I do adore my two kitty girls so much.  They do bring me such joy.  Knowing they're home waiting for me makes a bad day better, and if I can't sleep, they both join me for snuggles and "pillow talk".  I actually love all animals, cats are just most suitable for my life right now.  

Great thread.  It's nice to stop and enjoy the simple pleasures.

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Having a Pet is a Joy

[ Edited ]

My cats are the joy of my life! They are divine. I sometimes think they're actually "angels," sent from the "other side" to bring immense joy to us humans--and me, in particular. They are far smarter than they're given credit for being...Of that, I am certain.

Esteemed Contributor

This girl brings joy and love to me and our family every dayHeart20190918_133125.jpg

Honored Contributor

I really can't imagine my life without Frankie, my dog, and Henry, my cat.  I live alone and they are such good company.  Frankie will be 8 years old this month.  My sister asked me the other day if I would get another dog when Frankie died.  I immediately answered "yes!"  I would be so lonely without them.  I won't get another puppy, but I will get another dog.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

I have had cats all my adult life.  Loved them all.  I was fortunate to marry a man who also adores cats.  We have a farm and I have a "herd" of cats that we feed twice a day.  Some are so frendly and some are feral but all "allow" us to feed them.  We currently have one cat "Callie" that is our "house Kitty".  I tell her every day how much she adds to our lives and how much we love her.  She is an older cat but still plays like a kitten.  Gives us entertainment, joy and compionship.  They are truly sent from heaven.

Trusted Contributor

@ I agree with what someone else posted....our pets are our world. Everything they do brings us joy!! We are very blessed to have them!

F/N/A luvstogarden