Honored Contributor

@nekodaisy  I'm so glad you're getting her.  I understand about covering up all the openings.  When I brought my kitten home he immediately hid behind my desk and wouldn't come out.  I wasn't positive that's where he was and pulled out a drawer and got him out.   I happened to have gotten some large packages at that time and cut cardboard out to cover up the hole behind my desk.  I also covered up the opening to behind my refrigerator and closed the glass doors to my fireplace.

For a long time I would put  him in my bedroom before I opened the door to let anyone in.  Now I don't think he will try to go out if someone's there.  He runs when I start to let anyone in.  I go out through the garage when I leave, so he couldn't get outside that way.

I so hope you enjoy having the sister, too.  Do you know what you will name her?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

When I adopt I alway's get 2 together. I have four kitty's now and they are 2 set's of brother's. I just love watching them chase each other through the house and play together. Just my opinion but I think you should go get the sister, I think the two would love playing with each other and you would get a kick out of watching them. Please let us know what you decide, if you would'nt mind.

Trusted Contributor

I'm so glad you're going to get the sister. They might smell "funny" to each other at first, but I don't think two months is too long for them to forget their sibling odor. I hope they give you much joy, and I know they will receive that and so much more in return! 

Esteemed Contributor

I have 2 but the  best is to get them at the same time. My answer moved and couldn't get it back. My older one doesn't care for the new and it Has been 1-1/2 years and loves to chase her. The older one picked me and the young was gotten at a shelter. I once had a cat and dog that loved each other and they were gotten separate. After answering again this came back. Not funny but the young cat creeps into the den looking for the other cat- leery.

Valued Contributor

Re: Having 2 cats at once

[ Edited ]

Our cat has been in our home nearly 2 years...she really has never 'warmed' up to us and seems unhappy a great deal of the time.  We were wondering if maybe she would be happier with another cat in the home.  But, how do you go about testing this?  She really barely likes to be touched or loved.  It's pretty unrewarding.  I wrote in back when we almost gave her back....  We just feel so bad that she seems so depressed all the time.

Respected Contributor

@highmaintenancejan, have you tried playing with your cat with one of those long wands with the feathers on a string? Those toys do wonders even for the most difficult cats. I think if you try to do this on a regular basis, your cat would warm up to you.

Valued Contributor

Get some more litter boxes and AdoptSmiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor
@highmaintenancejan, what you described,-I had a dog like that for 2 years. When we finally connected he became the happiest dog!

With your cat, besides dedicating 6 or 7 minutes to playtime twice a day (more is ok), spend a few minutes on basic bonding thru grooming, touching foreheads together, and LSBs (long, slow blinks).

I put on the morning coffee, and for those few minutes while it's brewing, I comb my little Swee'Pea, caressing her gently. I concentrate on grooming as a way to express my affection, as her own mother would. She's learned to enjoy this, and the grooming renews our bond daily.

LSBs are exaggerated slo-motion blinks. While your cat is looking at your face just close your eyes and open them again. Repeat.
Cats do this to tell other cats they're not a threat, not intending to do harm. It will help your cat to trust you, provided you're not spending the rest of your time being scary & harmful.

I like to slowly lean forward and briefly touch my forehead to hers.
Again, this is physical contact intended to reassure your cat.
If your cat looks frightened or turns away as you lean in, stop.
You're close enough.
Ideally, someday as you lean in, your cat will lean towards you and bump foreheads.
Respected Contributor

wrote:

Thank you all for your repiies.

I called the foster person and he still has her sister. They have not seem each other for 2 mos. now but we will be getting her tomorrow. Since my last dog passed I have not been able to get her out of my mind.

When we brought Gracie home she smelled like cat pee and went and hid in everything imaginable. As soon as we let her out of the kennel she ran into our front load washer. Then when I got her out she went behind it and then next she crawled into our fireplace. I took covering up all the hide holes a kitten could get behind but finally she does not hide anymore.

I know bringing her sister here wiill probably incurr the same thing but just getting her here into a great home makes me feel so much better. He tried to get me to take her too but I still had my Daisy at home and could not take on another cat.

Will keep you all updated on how she is doing and if I can figure it out will post a picture of the two once they get to know each other again.

So happy to hear you adopted her sister too!

I have 9 cats right now.  Yes, I am nuts and never could have forseen this!  We just got our latest kitten as she hid out in our garage. 

Yes, there is a period of adjustment.  But they've all established their place and mostly live fine together.  So don't get discouraged.  We have had other kitties we have lost, and they all managed to live together.  It should be fine.

Hyacinth  Cat Very Happy

Regular Contributor

Well, we have had her for a week already.  Her and her sister are getting along now. There were a few hisses that went on but no cat fight.

She is not as outgoing as her sister. I can hold her for a few minutes and then she is done. I can also finally walk up to her and pet her a few times and then she takes off. She has yet to come to me but she has never used her claws on me which is more then I can say for her sister Gracie. She tore my arms up one side to the other.

I know with her it is going to take time. Kitty Konnection does in home foster care. When we were talking to the foster people he told us he had 30 cats so I know they were caged or crated and kept in a room. Gracie came to us smelling like pee but with the new one, Tessa, it took 2 baths to get the odor off of her. I just felt so bad for them both but they are happy and took over the house.

I have always been a dog person but both my husband and I now prefer cats. They are easier to take care of and they never have to go outside. We also have 2 litter boxes in the house but they seem to always use the same one. They are really fun to watch when they go on their tear which usually starts around 8 at night. 

Thanks again for all your input and glad we got the second one. Gracie sure loves having her sister here to play with.