Respected Contributor

Have you ever worked at a shelter or Rescue?

My question is, why would the shelter/rescue have two different treatment policies for felines vs. canines?  Is one more fatal than the other?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Re: Have you ever worked at a shelter or Rescue?

I was a shelter manager for a small county shelter many years ago.  I'm not sure what you mean by two different treatment policies.  Could you elaborate a little more?

Trusted Contributor

Example of the differences?

Because people don't hesitate to put a cat out on the street and do not care about fixing them there is an overload of cats out there. Most shelters are so full of kitties that they simply cannot take in any more...which is probably why so many cat resuces exist.

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Respected Contributor

Canines and Felines have different diseases. Maybe that is why there are different treatment policies? Not sure what you are asking or referring to. 

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina Treatment policies for what? Your question isn't clear.

Esteemed Contributor

I've volunteered and worked with both cat and dog rescue groups. Not sure what your question is regarding "treatment".

Respected Contributor

NEVERMIND the first question, but I have another ... simpler question ...

As a non-profit organization, are meds donated to shelters?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

NEVERMIND the first question, but I have another ... simpler question ...

As a non-profit organization, are meds donated to shelters?

@RinaRina    In most cases, probably not.  They have to buy like vets and other facilities.  Does your city or county hospital get drugs free?  No.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

The county shelter that I managed had a veterinarian on c...

The county shelter that I managed had a veterinarian on call and he took care of all of our medical needs.  Of course that shelter was subsidized by the county.  

All of the guinea pig rescues that I have been involved with are run by individuals who rely on donations.  The veterinarians involved may offer their services at a discounted fee but nothing is free. 

Esteemed Contributor

Unopened meds can be donated from animal hospitals in the community or via fundraisers to pay for these in the shelter's budget. It depends on the shelter:  size, urban v. rural, what entity controls the shelter's' budget (is it the county, city, etc., or are they independent). Local and state laws govern this--there is no "one size fits all" answer to your question.