Honored Contributor

Re: Have U Ever had an AQUARIUM?

Years ago - we had a really large acquarium.  DH took care of it - I don't recall him ever complaining about it.

He had a pump and filter attached - he had some sort of "sea creatures" in there that cleaned the glass and another than cleaned the gravel.

It was his hobby - and as I said above - never heard him grumble about it. 

It was very pretty.

Honored Contributor

When I set up my fish tank, I had an "experienced fish tank"  friend help to set it up. I did not think it was hard to maintain and keep the fish tank clean. I bought what I was told was the best pump, heater and set up. The fish lasted for quite a few years. Longer than my "friend" and I lasted.

Honored Contributor

They don't need to be cleaned very often if you have a good filtration system and the right sort of fish, but when you do, it's a PIA.  My son worked in a pet store when he was in HS and college.  He had aquariums all over the house.  I really enjoyed looking at them and he did all the work.  Perfect.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

It's also distressing if you get a fish that abuses the other fish, chasing, biting and harassing them.  It seems the smaller the fish, the more this is an issue.  

Respected Contributor

Yes I did ,and I hated to clean the filters, stinky and work.

Very pretty to look at, but its not worth the cleaning  and upkeep.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Before I had my whole house generator we had an ice storm one Christmas Eve. I had a 30 gallon aquarium with freshwater fish. 

I covered it since it was in a large foyer, and ran the fireplace in the den until I burned all the wood. Power was out for a week.

I replaced some of the water with new several times and about 7 fish lived. I would never have one again without a generator backup. A friend lost all of her fish once due to a power outage. 
  My husband hated the water changes monthly. I gave it to a lady who worked at a feed store and had several aquariums. She probably fed my fish to her big ones!😣

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina  I had tropical fish as a young person.   It was fun! Yes, there is maintainance of the tank, but like any hobby that is just part of it. It was lovely watching the fish...setting up the tank for them....very mesmerizing to watch and listen to.  I highly recommend it for anyone....and  is a good learning experience for young people on learning responsibly.

fish can and do get sick....and sometimes it is sad to see a sick or dead fish in the tank....but, that is just part of the life cycle of having animals or fish. 

Honored Contributor

Yes and yes

Respected Contributor

@RinaRina They require a good deal of maintenance and cleaning.  NEVER AGAIN for me.

Honored Contributor

I have four tanks currently. A 50 gallon, a 30 gallon, a 20 gallon, and a 10 gallon. All are freshwater and planted tanks. Mine are very low maintenance. I use sponge filters as my main filters and they require very little maintenance. I've got a breeding colony of Super Red Bristlenose Plecos (around 40 of them currently and one of my males is guarding a cave so there's another clutch of eggs in it.) Lots of Neon Swordtails. And a few other odds and ends. The largest issue is thinning out the excessive plant growth. The plants help make a more natural ecosystem and minimize maintenance though, so that's a minimal problem. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!