Valued Contributor

Re: Has your pet ever warned you of a danger?

My rabbits thumped their feet repeatedly just before a minor earthquake.

Honored Contributor

Well if you include the phone ringing.  If I were deaf, she'd let me know.  In all honesty, she does let me know. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal wrote:

Well if you include the phone ringing.  If I were deaf, she'd let me know.  In all honesty, she does let me know. 

@qualitygal

Ohhh ,yes.   I have different ring tones (different songs)  for each person and my Cozi

knows who  each one is..... and runs to the proper door that each one usually  enters......front door,side door...

God forbid I am in the shower,he goes nuts alerting me the phone is ringing......

Even when my my neighbor across the

street calls ,he runs to the window to watch his house or him as he crosses the street........lol

Occasional Contributor

I know this doesnt count as danger but my beagle always warns us when a storm is coming.  She has not been wrong once and she is way more accurate than the weather channel.

I watch a YouTuber name chronically jacquie.  She has a service dog named Harlow who will warn her if she is about to faint so she can sit down and not injure herself falling. 

Dogs are amazing critters. 

Valued Contributor

I had an umusual situation when pet sitting for a family with 5 large dogs.  I had recently been discharged from the hospital, newly diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. I was new to insulin and blood sugar checks and all the things that can happen.

I was laying on the couch "asleep" or so I thought at the time. These dogs all have collars that stop them from jumping on the furniture or going into the TV room and they never do.

Despite the shocks from the collar the Australian shepherd was getting, she came to the couch and was pushing me, nosing me and finally jumped on me to get me "aroused".  I managed to check my blood sugar with a lot of difficulty. It was 40. Four years later and I still think that dog saved my life.

The owners have cameras in certain rooms because they are having a problem with a teenage son. They showed me the tape of what the dog did, because they were so surprised the dog knew to do that. They got her as a puppy and she had no training for what she did.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Respected Contributor

Was on a kinda lonely beach on a chilly day with my book and trusty pup and way down the beach a guy was walking toward us. He got closer and closer and then made a turn up the beach in my direction. When he got too close to ignore my pup (sweetest little gal who would lick ya to death I thought) took off after him like gangbusters! Chased that fella away right now.No arguements from him. He obviously had a bad karma smell. This is why I LOVE my pups. My bodyguards!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember one time my dog was very uneasy about the cleaning lady.  He usually barks when they come in and it's over!

When she left, we found the cinnamon roll box that was on the kitchen table in the garbage in the shed, with the cinnamon roll half eaten!  

Not a danger, but easily could have been!  I think I'll keep him!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for your stories.  Very interesting thread!

Respected Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

Last night we had one of our usual summer storms and my dog hates storms.  He always wants to go outside because when he was younger, he was always on the Lanai when it rains!

Last night, he "wanted to go out" but when we got to the door, he started barking and wouldn't put on his leash!  Totally different behavior that I have never seen.

I'll admit, it made me very uneasy!  

You read so many stories of animals reacting to the weather that I was very aware of the difference.

Have you ever experienced a similar situation

many years ago I lived in a rental house, I was upstairs sleeping when one of my dogs, a very sweet german shephard woke me up growling, hissing and ears locked forward. I had never seen her like these & it freaked me out! She must have heard someone outside & scared them away.

Another time I was walking out of a Michaels store and a weirdo drove up blocking me on the sidewalk trying to pick me up. I slowly walked to my truck with him edging toward me & quickly opened my door where my other german shephard was waiting. She jumped out of the truck to protect me & the man sped off. Saved the day! I was so proud of them.

Respected Contributor

my black lab grabbed hold of my sleeve as I was getting into my car,she would not let go..I put her in the house and proceeded to town, my car broke down and I had to be towed....when I got home she gave me a look like, really?