Respected Contributor

Has anyone used medication for a hyper and anxious dog?

My latest rescue who I have had over a year is still just as hyper and very anxious as when I adopted her.  I have owned dogs all my life and never had this issue. She clearly had a rough beginning, but she is in a wonderful home with other dogs and they all get on well. Has anyone experienced this? Anyone found a medication that works to help calm her, but won't make her drowsy? Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone used medication for a hyper and anxious dog?

@  Poor baby and how beautiful that you provide a home for recuses.  Have you tried one of those weighted jackets?  I know you have considered the obvious, ie, getting enough exercise.

Super Contributor

Some dogs are just plain anxious .... just the way their brains are wired.  I got my pup at 8 weeks and she was never abused or mistreated.  But. ... she's a neurotic mess.    Like you, I had absolutely never run into a dog that was so hyper.  

I have been giving her CBD oil for the past six months.  It doesn't make everything wonderful ... but it does calm her enough that we can do some training.  

I also had some success with Composure calming treats.  Again, they don't solve the problem, but they take the edge off enough that I can do some conditioning.  

Neither one makes her drowsy.    The vet had considered giving her Prozac and Xanax, but was concerned that they would aggravate her aggressive tendencies.   

There are lots of options ..... and believe me ... it is worth it to see the dog calm down.  She is so much happier ... and so are we.  

Honored Contributor

You didn't mention what you mean by hyper and anxious.

Perhaps your dog has excess energy that can be expended by taking a long walk to tire her out and calm her down.  Do you walk her everyday or do you just open the door, let her out and then let her back in again?

Dogs need stimulation, some dogs require more than others.  I have two dogs, one is laid back and the other one is bouncing off of the walls constantly.  She is only quiet and calm when she is tired or sleeping.

i walk her twice a day which helps a lot.  Sometimes she needs a third walk...she is a very active dog.  I tried to tire her out by playing with her...as in throwing a ball or playing tug with a toy, but she has never taken to toys of any type.

My dog was only months old when I got her and was never abused.  She just has a hyper personality.  I wouldn't think of medicating her, she is not sick or broken.

We are painting the inside of our home right now and furniture is being moved around daily.  Both of my dogs are anxious because of this disruption, but it will be over soon.

Contributor

My friend adopted a rescue beagle Addy was so anxious my friend could not leave the house. Working with her vet they put her on some anti anxiety medication and while a beagle would never be described as a mellow dog the difference is remarkable. My friend was reluctant to use medication also but like I told her some people require medication due to their brain chemistry and so do some dogs and cats. With the proper dosage your dog should not be excessively sleepy but just like with humans it may require some trial and error. No one feels great when they are anxious all the time human or animal. Addy is a much happier dog now but very much still present. Good luck

Respected Contributor

As already mentioned, try CBD oil .... purchase only organic.  The pesticides in a cheaper brand would be detrimental to your precious pup.  Best of luck to you.

Esteemed Contributor

It really depends on what you mean by hyper and anxious, they are not usually coupled together.  Some people would label a high energy dog as hyper. What is  he doing that makes you think her is acting anxious.  How sever are these behaviors?

To answer your question, I have a dog that has been on Prozac for years.  She was very fearful and would react badly to new situations and especially other dogs.  It has worked wonders.  She can compete at agility trials around other dogs and even has a little brother.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My younger beagle, 5 year old Molly, has been been on Prozac since age 3 months. Soon after we got her at 12 wks., my Dad’s cancer took an unexpected turn for the worse and I had to kennel her several days each week to visit to my Dad. Molly developed separation anxiety...completely my fault leaving her at a young age. She began licking everything and exhibiting other OCD symptoms. The vet started the Prosac treatment.

By age 3 or 4, we were able to cut her dose in half. Although she’s still licking furniture, her dog bed, us (a little more than we’d like), having her on less medication is a good choice. Her other symptoms have diminished. She’s otherwise doing quite well.

@ellaphant