Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone used belly bands or wraps for their male dogs with incontinence?

@tends2dogs wrote:

@HappyDaze You are very welcome.  I hope you can come up with a system for your baby.  Once you get one down, it just becomes part of your day. 

A funny side story.  We have another Old English that we also had when the other one was still with us.  One time I said to him, do you want to wear this and held out the band.  He came over to me and stood in front of me waiting for me to put it on him, so I thought, what the heck, let's see what he does.  I put it on him and he just walked away.  Of course, I didn't leave it on him, but DH and I got a good chuckle about it.  Isn't it great how these precious animals are not self consience??  They just want to give love AND receive it.

All the best to you and your pet.  Kudos for trying to find a solution.  You will.

awwwww, lol! That is so cute! He just wanted to be like the other doggie!

I purchased a band from Drs. Foster and Smith. It gets alot of good reviews, just hope it will be big enough because so many say they run small. I know he won't mind wearing it, albeit he may be a little embarassed at first, lol. But that dog sleeps soooo hard that he will be zonked before he can even think about it too much, lol.

Thanks again! Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

After I wrote the warning, I was asked to foster 2 Shih Tzu boys.    They are siblings and bonded.   They are UNNEUTERED!!!!!!    Now I am faced with either shrouding my house or use belly bands!

This is not a pleasant situation.    I walk them 3-4 times a day.    

Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@HappyDaze You are very welcome.  I hope you can come up with a system for your baby.  Once you get one down, it just becomes part of your day. 

A funny side story.  We have another Old English that we also had when the other one was still with us.  One time I said to him, do you want to wear this and held out the band.  He came over to me and stood in front of me waiting for me to put it on him, so I thought, what the heck, let's see what he does.  I put it on him and he just walked away.  Of course, I didn't leave it on him, but DH and I got a good chuckle about it.  Isn't it great how these precious animals are not self consience??  They just want to give love AND receive it.

All the best to you and your pet.  Kudos for trying to find a solution.  You will.

I purchased a band from Drs. Foster and Smith. It gets alot of good reviews, just hope it will be big enough because so many say they run small. I know he won't mind wearing it, albeit he may be a little embarassed at first, lol. But that dog sleeps soooo hard that he will be zonked before he can even think about it too much, lol.

@HappyDaze, I am so glad you found something and I hope it works for you when it arrives.  I have to tell you that with my guy, we never took the band off in the house because once we released the pressure of the band, the urine just poured out - sorry if too graphic, but that is how it was.  Often, the pad was dry.  I think it must of held up "something" inside of him and when we took it off, well, like I said before.  My dog seemed more embarrassed about the leaking then wearing the band.  We even took a month long trip to Florida and stopped at rest areas, etc.  I think people just thought that something was wrong with his back, but if not, we really didn't care.  My husband built a ramp for him to get into the backseat of our truck for this trip.  Needless to say, this was very close to the end. BUT he swam in the pool everyday with me.  He loved the pool and would always walk down the steps waiting for me to swim with him.  Wow, I really digressed on this reply.  Sorry, but precious memories are just that.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@HappyDaze, I am so glad you found something and I hope it works for you when it arrives.  I have to tell you that with my guy, we never took the band off in the house because once we released the pressure of the band, the urine just poured out - sorry if too graphic, but that is how it was.  Often, the pad was dry.  I think it must of held up "something" inside of him and when we took it off, well, like I said before.  My dog seemed more embarrassed about the leaking then wearing the band.  We even took a month long trip to Florida and stopped at rest areas, etc.  I think people just thought that something was wrong with his back, but if not, we really didn't care.  My husband built a ramp for him to get into the backseat of our truck for this trip.  Needless to say, this was very close to the end. BUT he swam in the pool everyday with me.  He loved the pool and would always walk down the steps waiting for me to swim with him.  Wow, I really digressed on this reply.  Sorry, but precious memories are just that.

Oh please, don't apologize or worry about digressing- I LOVE hearing about peoples stories with their pets, it really warms my heart! I have so many precious memories too and it is nice to share them with others sometimes. There are alot of Physical therapy places for pets now and they include swimming in pools- it is good exercise for them, especially the older they get because, like us, it is easy on their old joints. Smiley Happy

I'm not sure how keen my dogs would be about swimming but they love to play in the kiddie pool and the creek. My one boy who passed away in 2013 would drop his tennis ball in the kiddie pool then spend hours bobbing for it and pawing it and watching it bob up and down, lol. He actually learned to stick his nose completely under water chasing the ball and could stay under for quite awhile, blowing bubbles out of his nose! LOL, I don't know who had more fun- him or us watching him! Smiley Happy Heart