Super Contributor

Has anyone raised a blind cat?

We are a farm family and have several "Barn" Cats - Most won't allow us near them but do show up for daily feedings.  One of the Kittens was showing signs of having respitory problems and we took her in our heated Milk house to doctor her.  She appeared fine and responded to the medicine very well.  She was able to find the food and water with no problem.  I did notice that she was not playful like a kitten would be but chalked that up to her being sick.  This last weekend I noticed that she was not getting around very well.  Would walk into things and not able to find the water dish.  She is the most loving kitty - long hair calico that purrs like there is no tomorrow. 

Has anyone every raised a blind cat?  She will be able to stay in our milk house as we no longer milk cows.  But for now we are having to put her at the food and water dish twice a day when we feed other cats. 

I just feel so sorry for her and not sure how to help her.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Has anyone raised a blind cat?

@Wiskota 

First, thank you for having the kind heart & compassion that you do for these homeless animals.  

Sorry, I don't have any experience with a blind cat.  I do wish you well with finding the assistance you seek.  Maybe you can direct your question to a vet or animal shelter?  

Maybe your kitten will soon grow on you & you won't be able to resist her by becoming her Mom .. wishful thinking on my part.  One of my cats is a long hair calico.  She's the whiner of the two of them but very loving.  

Best of luck & thank you again Cat Very Happy

Super Contributor

Thak you for your reply.  She has already grown on me.  I have a short haired calico that is our house cat and she had a hard life before we took her inside.  Can't bring in this kitten it woiuld be upsitting to her.  But having the Milk house for the kitten is an option just not sure how to help her find her way around.  thanks again

New Contributor

WE had a blind kitten, she was 14 weeks when we got her,, brought her home from the shelter, and she instantly started  "mapping" the entire house. By thathse did kinda like a Romba does,, goes back and forth noting objects, and bumping into things was a clue to remember next time.. Dont move her food or water that is one important detail.. she needs to be able to get to them no problem... Our kitten has a small amout of sigh she could see shadows, but no much else. I would not put her outside unless she can be around other cats,, if she gets out of her barn she will be ost ,, with other cats she will tend tp stay in her spots, and feel comforatable. With blind cats , they adapt great as long as there is routine. Be sure to take her to the vet as asoon as you see any, eating changes or lethergy, as she might have another underlying condition.. Hope this helps...Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Thank you so much for the information.  I have been concerned that she might have some other problems also.  Right now she has a very healthy appitite.  Just so loving and is a great lap cat.  Loves to be held and talked to.  We do have other cats in the Milk house and they have been indifferent to her - neither nasty or friendly.  thanks again for the tips they will help. 

Honored Contributor

@Wiskota wrote:

Thak you for your reply.  She has already grown on me.  I have a short haired calico that is our house cat and she had a hard life before we took her inside.  Can't bring in this kitten it woiuld be upsitting to her.  But having the Milk house for the kitten is an option just not sure how to help her find her way around.  thanks again

@Wiskota 

You may be surprised!

With the proper, slow introduction, these two could become besties, with your sighted cat 'leading' the blind one until she learns the 'map' of the house.

Animals have amazing intuition and can sense when another animal is a threat to them or not, as well as recognize each other's weaknesses.

Poor baby!! Hope you find a suitable solution!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@Wiskota  Thank you for taking care of her.  I think you would be surprised to find that your other cat will realize that this kitten is blind, needs help, and will become a mother to her.  I am always impressed with the kindness of animals when one is in need.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I agree with IG, the older indoor cat will size the newbie up and see that she isn't a threat and hopefully the older cat isn't jealous and will take care of the younger one. My female cats were not the jealous types, but I did have a male cat who was extremely jealous of a new male kitten that showed up at our place.

Respected Contributor

I know you're attached to the kitten but have you thought about finding her a home where she can live inside, have needed attention & be in a safer situation since she can't see. I know my cat wouldn't tolerate having another around so I understand why you can't bring the kitten inside. Please don't misunderstand  my post, I know you're taking good care of the kitten but we both know indoor cats live a pampered life, they have us twisted around their little paw. Good luck @Wiskota.

Honored Contributor

Have you considered taking the kitten to the Vet?  There may be other problems even if she is eating and drinking normally.  Will you spay her at the appropriate time?  I know keeping her in the milk barn seems like the best option, and it may be, but it sounds like she needs more care than that.  Thank you for bringing her in the barn.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau