Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever asked you to take their animals when they die?

@Kachina624 wrote:

Its really a good idea to make arrangements for your pets should you pass away.  Many times no family member wants them and they could end up at animal control with an uncertain future. 

My dogs all came from the same rescue group so they would go back to them should I be unable to care for them.  My friend who has a beautiful collie,  of whom I'm very fond, asked me years ago if I'd take the dog in the event of her death.  Of course I agreed.  Now the dog is old and failing so I don't think that will come to pass. 

@Kachina624 - these are greyhound rescued dogs - they will take your dogs back if you die - that was one reason I got a greyhound, because I know they will find it a good home.  Her dogs have been together now for some time and I think she just wants to know they wouldn't be separated. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

This is specifically WHY we did not even consider getting another dog when ours died. We don't want our beloved pet to out live us and end up a shelter dog. We really miss having a dog but have chosen to do what is common good sense and put the helpless animal's well being first.

@151949  If you adopt from a rescue group, you generally sign an agreement that the pet will be returned to the organization if you should die or become unable to care for it.  They want it back so they can find it another good home.  Relieves older adopters of the worry you express. 

@Kachina624 - this is true about the agreement, but everyone I know that has a greyhound has left it to another greyhound owner.  Mainly because they don't want the dogs separated from each other.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

This is specifically WHY we did not even consider getting another dog when ours died. We don't want our beloved pet to out live us and end up a shelter dog. We really miss having a dog but have chosen to do what is common good sense and put the helpless animal's well being first.

@151949

Then maybe you can consider adopting an older dog, as mentioned upthread.    They may have only a few years left, and older dogs can be harder to place as most people want puppies.   Just a thought.

Honored Contributor

No one has ever asked me, but I think you should be flattered that your friend is trusting you with her precious pets.  I could never take on 4 dogs where I'm living, but if you can handle it, good for you!

DH and I are 58 years old and we have a 12 year old cat that we love very much.  I've told him that I will not get another kitten when she passes, because it will could certainly outlive us. There are so many older animals that need homes. My last rescue dog was 10 years old, and she has since passed.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

No one has ever asked me, but I think you should be flattered that your friend is trusting you with her precious pets.  I could never take on 4 dogs where I'm living, but if you can handle it, good for you!

DH and I are 58 years old and we have a 12 year old cat that we love very much.  I've told him that I will not get another kitten when she passes, because it will could certainly outlive us. There are so many older animals that need homes. My last rescue dog was 10 years old, and she has since passed.

@house_cat - She has 4 wonderful animals - very sweet and gentle.  Greyhounds love other greyhounds so they all get along with my dog.  I am an animal lover - my dogs are my family. 

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal

One of my best friends has a rescue greyhound. 

He's a very gentle and loving dog. 

Here he is  - his name is Daniel :-)

daniel.jpg

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

No, but people have offerd to take my dog when I die- no kidding!

He is sweet and I am in good health.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@151949

Then maybe you can consider adopting an older dog, as mentioned upthread.    They may have only a few years left, and older dogs can be harder to place as most people want puppies.   Just a thought.

@Tinkrbl44  Our collie rescue group actually got a grant for a program called, "Seniors adopting seniors".  We seem to have a preponderance of older dogs and the grant subsidies some of their medical care while they live with a senior. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, but when my MIL's health started sliding downhill, my husband and I discussed taking her sickly dog.   In the end, the grandchildren who lived there beside my MIL took the dog, and that was probably the best solution since they were around her every day.   The dog died with 4 months after my MIL.   

Because of allergies and asthma, we have never had inside pets, and I keep my one potted plant in the basement.   We are not exactly the best choice to take a friends inside pet.      

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

My sister had leukemia and asked me if I would take her two cats if anything happened to her.  It isn't always older people who die and leave animals.  She was 47 and when she died my husband and I took her cats in.  It wasn't easy integrating them with our two but totally worth the effort.  They were very special and as long as we had them I felt like I was still able to do something for my sister.  Made it doubly hard when they died.