Respected Contributor

Has anyone ever asked you to take their animals when they die?

[ Edited ]

Just went to the greyhound meet.  My friend, who is in her 70s (but in really good shape) told me she was going to leave me her 4 greyhounds when she died because her other friend "isn't excited about the idea".  I told her I couldn't afford four more dogs and she said they come with money for their care.  I would do that for her as she is an only child and has no relatives left.  Two of the dogs were left to her last fall when their owner died (a good friend of both of ours.  I offered at the time to take one of the dogs, but she didn't want to split them up).  I wouldn't want to see her four dogs split up and sent to other homes.  So, I guess when I lose my sweet Sedona, I won't be adopting another dog just in case - then I would have 6!

Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever asked you to take their animals when they die?

No one's asked me, but I'll be giving custody to whatever animals survive me to a friend who's very involved in animal rescue. I adopted a cat she was fostering, and I trust her completely to find homes for mine. I'm also leaving her my house and everything else I own, so that should help cover the costs.

Honored Contributor

No one has asked me that but that is one of the reasons I adopt older dogs.  I think it is irresponsible for an older person to get a puppy that will probably outlive them.  

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

No one has asked me that but that is one of the reasons I adopt older dogs.  I think it is irresponsible for an older person to get a puppy that will probably outlive them.  

@DiAnne - these aren't puppies - they are middle age dogs, but I wouldn't want them to have to go to a stranger, especially the two who just lost their owner in the fall - they've been through enough. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hoosieroriginal I think GOD sent people like you to us to remind us how we all all 'supposed' to be.

What a wonderful person you are!  I have two cats and I'm 70 years old.  In pretty good health but about to have a major operation.

I know my two cats would be fine.  My youngest daughter (who just adopted a dog) would probably be the one to adopt my cats.  My oldest daughter might end up with them as she was just 'given' to kittens and has no dogs.  Either way, they'll be fine.

Anyway, I just wanted to tell you I wish in 'real life' I could claim you for a friend because you'd be an awesome friend to have in life.  

I also wanted to add that I know a tiny, tiny bit about greyhounds (I watch Dog Whisperer).  I know that they are very gently 'giants' and take more care than other dogs.  I just mean they can be nervous and have lots and lots of energy and love to run and run.  They are so sweet, but afraid of things that other dogs would just plow into.  I'm generalizing, I know, but I just mention this to add to my amiration for you.  

Fondly, Annabelle/Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, a stranger asked me to take her Shih Tzu when she dies. She doesn't even live in this state.

I was in the parking lot of a store one day, and I saw this lady walking her Shih Tzu. Of course, I had to stop and experience her dog, and we got to talking. She said none of her people wanted her dog if anything happened to her. She asked me if I would take it!  Of course, I said yes.

She took my name, address, and phone #.

I haven't heard anything.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is specifically WHY we did not even consider getting another dog when ours died. We don't want our beloved pet to out live us and end up a shelter dog. We really miss having a dog but have chosen to do what is common good sense and put the helpless animal's well being first.

Honored Contributor

No but they better ask before just doing it. Leaving someone 4 dogs without asking should never be done IMO. I would not want that even with the financial help. We have had 2 dogs at a time but I would not want more then 2.

My dad wanted another dog but held off getting one because he did not know what would happen to it when he's gone. I told him when he lost his last 2 if he wanted another poodle I would take it & not to worry about her. He asked all us kids for names for her. I sent him a list I liked for a red poodle. He picked Scarlet. He also has 3 cats that nobody wants plus takes care of all the strays. My sister will have to take the cats to a no kill shelter. I'm allergic so I'm not taking them. I have enough allergy problems without dealing with the cat hair.

Honored Contributor

Its really a good idea to make arrangements for your pets should you pass away.  Many times no family member wants them and they could end up at animal control with an uncertain future. 

My dogs all came from the same rescue group so they would go back to them should I be unable to care for them.  My friend who has a beautiful collie,  of whom I'm very fond, asked me years ago if I'd take the dog in the event of her death.  Of course I agreed.  Now the dog is old and failing so I don't think that will come to pass. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

This is specifically WHY we did not even consider getting another dog when ours died. We don't want our beloved pet to out live us and end up a shelter dog. We really miss having a dog but have chosen to do what is common good sense and put the helpless animal's well being first.

@151949  If you adopt from a rescue group, you generally sign an agreement that the pet will be returned to the organization if you should die or become unable to care for it.  They want it back so they can find it another good home.  Relieves older adopters of the worry you express. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment