Trusted Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever asked you to take their animals when they die?

If these greyhounds were rescued from a greyhound organization, then they would go back to the organization from which they came.  They will take them back and want them back instead of passing them on to someone else.  I just adopted a greyhound four months ago and there are specific things to know about this breed, as I'm sure with others, that are very important.  The paperwork I signed states they want the dog back so as not to get into the hands of someone who does not know the details of owning a greyhound. 

Side note:  greyhounds are amazing.

Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever asked you to take their animals when they die?

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Just went to the greyhound meet.  My friend, who is in her 70s (but in really good shape) told me she was going to leave me her 4 greyhounds when she died because her other friend "isn't excited about the idea".  I told her I couldn't afford four more dogs and she said they come with money for their care.  I would do that for her as she is an only child and has no relatives left.  Two of the dogs were left to her last fall when their owner died (a good friend of both of ours.  I offered at the time to take one of the dogs, but she didn't want to split them up).  I wouldn't want to see her four dogs split up and sent to other homes.  So, I guess when I lose my sweet Sedona, I won't be adopting another dog just in case - then I would have 6!

yes, my best friend was diagnosed with lung cancer and given 30 days to live. I had 4 dogs and she had 2. Her sons were going to have them put to sleep so she asked us to take them saying it was the last thing we could do for her which of course we did. Never regretted it. they were 8 and 9 when we got them and just lost the 8 year old last Christmas at 16 1/2 years old.