Respected Contributor

Has anyone else have this experience with a pet?

My little kitty Missy is 18 years old and she'll turn 19 this month, so she's a real old lady despite the fact that she's my baby.

She doesn't seem to have much of an appetite these days and our vet is concerned, since she went from 10 lbs. to 8.6 in a few months. I notice that if we set food down before her, she'll eat it but doesn't seem all that interested otherwise. (So we make sure to feed her often.)

And she's now getting check-ups every 4 months instead of 6 and everything seems fine, except for her lack of interest in food.

She seems to have gained a little--I weighed her today--and I'm relieved but I still worry about her. I know that terminally ill people and animals will stop eating toward the end but I don't think that's what is going on with her. And we do make sure we give her food that she likes--no point in trying to get a cat to eat something she doesn't like.

So we feed her and cuddle her as much as she wants. I know she's not going to be around forever so I want to make her life as comfortable and pleasant as possible.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Has anyone else have this experience with a pet?

My thirteen year old Springer Spaniel, Zeke, also has a diminished appetite. Some days he eats like he's never seen food and other days he barely picks at his food. I always give him food I know he likes. But what he likes one week he may not like the next. It's definitely a challenge.

Honored Contributor

Could she be losing her sense of smell?  or Taste?  Either of those would affect the appetite.

Honored Contributor

I would definitely let my vet be the guide to any questions. 

We are dog people and have only lost 2 to aging out.

Their agility went down hill with the eating.

Honored Contributor

All creatures, including people, have a decreased appetite as they age due to decreased sense of taste and smell.  If you have food out all the time, she probably never really gets hungry.  You might try feeding twice a day then removing food until the next meal. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten I would encourage you to buy some Fortiflora by Pro Plan. It is probiotics powder packets that you sprinkle on their food. Cats LOVE it and it helps their appetite; they will eat whatever u put it on. My vet vouched that this particular brand had great scientific studies backing its claims. I get it at Chewy dot com. I have never checked Amazon, but you might be able to get it there, too. It is important to get this brand. It is well worth every cent that it cost. I promise it will help your kitty's appetite.

Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten I would encourage you to buy some Fortiflora by Pro Plan. It is probiotics powder packets that you sprinkle on their food. Cats LOVE it and it helps their appetite; they will eat whatever u put it on. My vet vouched that this particular brand had great scientific studies backing its claims. I get it at Chewy dot com. I have never checked Amazon, but you might be able to get it there, too. It is important to get this brand. It is well worth every cent that it cost. I promise it will help your kitty's appetite.

My vet sold Fortiflora in his office. We used it for our picky eater little male dog. It is a very good product.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten - Has Missy always been slight? Is she drinking and using her box? Sometimes older ladies just don't want to eat that much. . Is she active and not seeming to be in pain? Your veterinarian is keeping an eye on her, so that's a good thing. I think you're doing the right thing. If she stops eating AND drinking, or cries when using her box,  call immediately. In the meantime keep enjoying her love and giving her yours. She sounds like a sweetheart!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @GoneButNotForgotten ,

Suggest you try "Meat Flavored Water".  I've been making this every day for going on 20 years.

You'll have to experiment to find the right dilution for Missy. But she'll benefit from the extra calories and liquid.

All you need is canned cat food, water, and a stick blender.

Mix in a bowl that's deep enough to leave you unsplattered. (But I always drape a dishcloth over my shirt like an apron while blending.)

Normally I use a 5.5oz can and an equal part water to rinse out the can. But I made it like a thick sauce (runny pudding?) for one sick cat who could lap that off a spatula but couldn't eat solid food.

This is also great for increasing fluid intake in a poor water drinker, and weaning kittens who are ready to learn to lap liquid.

Aldi's brand, 9lives, and the Sam's club Member's Mark canned paté cat food work best. The tiny particles stay suspended in the water instead of separating. Cats prefer this texture.

Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten Another vote for Fortiflora.  We had 3 cats - the oldest lived to 22.  Fortiflora is amazing - I haven't noticed the same effect for dogs, but it seems to do wonders for most cats.