Valued Contributor

I am taking care of my sons cat. This week she decided won’t eat hard food he provided Meow Mix. Just stands and meows for treats. I tried some healthy brand at first oh boy that went over like a lead balloon. Do I just let food in bowl till she eats it? My dog would eat anything. 

Respected Contributor

Cats are manipulative.  Leave her regular food down. She will eat when she is hungry.  She is playing you.  😉

Esteemed Contributor

I would just leave some in a bowl for her.  Maybe mix in a few treats with it but if you make a sudden change to their food it can cause issues for their digestive tract.  Good luck, maybe she just misses your son.........they can be emotional animals, I;ve had cats my whole life.

Esteemed Contributor

They’re cats. Have a heart! Buy them some better food! Try some good quality canned food. Try some better brands of hard cat food! I recommend Pro Plan. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shawnie Very bad advice. I hope you don’t have cats.

Honored Contributor

Anyone who owns cats know they are good at getting you to do what they want, if you love them. My cat Moe is like a spoiled child and you just better do what he wants or you will have no peace. Like my husband says,"you raised him".

Respected Contributor

If Meow Mix is what the cat usually eats, it must be an emotional thing, missing her owner.  You could try another brand or try canned food.

It is important that a cat eats.  If they don't, they can get fatty liver.  One of my cats got it for unknown reasons.  She was extremely sick, we almost lost her.  We ended up force feeding her that A/D food from the vet in a syringe.

Don't know if you can talk to your son for any ideas.  I would give her more treats until she eats.  Not enough that she won't eat!

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

I've had cats most of my adult life and they do know very well how to "train" their adults.  You don't say how long you've had the cat or how long you will be taking care of her, it could be the cat is reacting to your son being gone and new surroundings.  How old is the cat?  I would leave the dry food in the bowl and put her treats in the bowl with the dry food but don't put the treats in any more than you normally would.  I give my cat a few Greenies at night before I go to bed, yes, he would love it if I gave them to him during the day as well but I don't.   

I am sure she will start to eat her dry food again when hunger takes over and she realizes she won't gets treats instead.  As always, if you are truly concerned about her, please call his vet and talk to them.  But take heart, in all my years of cat ownership, I have yet to know or hear of a cat who starved to death from stubborness.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Hard food for cat

[ Edited ]

Just FYI something I experienced a few months ago - my cats have eaten the same hard food (Science diet) since day 1 with no issues.  All of a sudden, they both started acting picky and not wanting to eat it.  I had the same thought as another poster that if they got hungry enough, they'd eat it.  Well, eventually I decided to change foods and luckily bought a type they liked, and, boy, did they eat it up just like they used to with the Science diet.  My one cat, who was a little overweight, actually lost a few lbs. because he just refused to eat it.  I also feed them some canned food (tiny amounts watered down to make it last) more as a treat. Because both cats stopped eating it at the same time, I wonder if they changed the formula or added something new that the cats didn't like.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hard food for cat

[ Edited ]

Please know that I am not out to start trouble, but wanted to let you know that MM is junk food for cats.

I realize that doesn't solve your problem, but a cat who only eats kibble is in danger of many health problems down the road.  Diabetes in particular.

No, I am not a vet, but this is what I have learned over the years with many, many cats.

On to your problem.

Find something the cat will eat.  You should never punish a cat in any manner because they are not eating.  Try some Fancy Feast pates or a few cans of a better grade of food.  I see that you've done some of that, but I would keep trying until you find something the cat will eat.

I don't buy into the thinking that cats are every "trying" to do anything manipulative or cunning.  If they don't or won't eat, there is a reason.  As the higher thinking creature, I try to figure it out and find something they will eat.

You asked for opinions and all of the above is just my opinion based on personal experience, so no lectures please.